Shopping for a Rocket - would appreciate any advice

ebg338

Standard Bore
Ride
Currently shopping
Hi everyone,

Enjoy the forum. I'm currently shopping for a used Rocket Touring. Have had a few other street bikes and rode dirt bikes in my younger years. Would be very interested in things to look for - bike I'm currently looking at is an '09 touring with under 6K miles, appears to be in very good condition. Anything in particular I should be looking out for in that particular year? I've read through the forum, only thing that I noticed that was a bit concerning was it looked like there have been some cases of the trans locking up - have no idea the frequency but it's never good to read about something like that with a bike. I'm a wrencher so will be doing maintenance myself. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and great forum!

Hello ebg338 and welcome from Virginia. A 2009 R3T with that low mileage will most likely need new tires as I bet it has the OEMs which are now over five year's old and not safe. Other than changing the oil and antifreeze, it should be good to go. It does not have ABS (which brake fluid needs changing every two years) but that too may need to be looked at.
My 2014 R3T just went over 70K miles so your bike is a very low mileage beast. You should not have any transmission issues with that year. Good luck!

Appreciate the response. Good to hear. Thanks for mentioning the tires, I'll be sure to check the date codes but am guessing you're correct and they're probably originals.

We’ve got 2 ‘08 Tourings in our household. I imagine they are close to the same.
Does the fuel gauge work? If not don’t assume an easy fix. We are zero for 2 on fixing fuel gauges.
There have been issues with the detent spring, we’ve replaced one, will do the other the first time we are in there.
Both bikes have a weave or wobble over 100, it’s different depending on conditions but consistent if you take your hands off the grips and let it decelerate over 75 or so...you will without hesitation get your hands back on the grips.

Last edited:
Welcome. I have a 2010 Touring and I really like it. You can get all the help you need right here, so go ahead and jump on it!
I also like the classics, but got a nice deal on the touring and grabbed it.

Back