johnseva

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 R
Hi all. I´m considering adding a shift assist on my rocket 3 R. I´ve been using shift assist on my Street Triple. On that bike it was only upshift and as far as I can remember it only works from 4000 RPM and higher. How does the Rocket 3 works regarding RPM´s ? Is there any particular diference from upshift to downshift regarding minimum RPM? Many thanks.

Hi all. I´m considering adding a shift assist on my rocket 3 R. I´ve been using shift assist on my Street Triple. On that bike it was only upshift and as far as I can remember it only works from 4000 RPM and higher. How does the Rocket 3 works regarding RPM´s ? Is there any particular diference from upshift to downshift regarding minimum RPM? Many thanks.
please use the search button und you will find...a lot of compliments for the shift assistent !

please use the search button und you will find...a lot of compliments for the shift assistent !
unfortunately not exactly... lots of misinformation and misunderstandings... but I think that the main cause is Triumph providing superficial and poor information... the level of information provided by the same Triumph for me as an owner of a Street Triple 2015 at that time was for sure much better and comprehensive...

You will find the majority of people that have it, love it. Those who state they prefer to do their own shifting, more power to them. I got it due to mild arthritis in my left hand, and it’s fantastic. Up shifts on open throttle are smooth and the throttle blip on downshifts is great. It works pretty much throughout the rev range in both directions.

You’ll read some stories of it being jerky and horrible, but my suspicion is those units were not installed properly…

Someone (maybe on facebook) posted a picture of unsightly wiring on the left side of the bike after dealer installed the quick shifter.
Is this the case? Is there any wiring that remains visible?
Thanks

Someone (maybe on facebook) posted a picture of unsightly wiring on the left side of the bike after dealer installed the quick shifter.
Is this the case? Is there any wiring that remains visible?
Thanks
Not on a mid-peg install? The forward pegs do have extra cable to route though…
796E8FFC-AF9F-452D-A04F-DF245AAC4A16.jpeg

This looks great. Thanks.

Now time for the stupid question of the week: with a quick shifter, you still can use the clutch whenever you want right?
Correct, I haven't noticed any change at all in normal clutch/shifting use after having the shift assist installed. I'll go on entire rides not using the shift assist. Honestly, since it is new to me, I'll forget about it sometimes.

Sometimes I intermix using the clutch and shift assist in the same upshift/downshift sequence. For instance, if I'm shifting up 1st through 4th from a stop light - I'll get going in 1st with the clutch (obviously) and then use the shift assist to get move through 2nd and 3rd and use the clutch again when I top out into 4th having reached my target speed. While you can shift assist into 4th as well, I find I'm little smoother and less likely to accerrate to the point of a felony if I do it the old fashioned way on the last one.

Maybe I still need more time with the new accessory to get the hang of it on that final shift.

Likewise, it works great for downshifting, but I'll usually switch to the clutch when I'm getting closer to needing to stop or there is anything going on with traffic that I might have adjust to.

I wish I had gotten it TBH even though I rarely use it on my sportsbikes.... old school I suppose. But on sportsbikes, it just feels right to have them. On this bigger beast, I don't really get tempted.

Back