Rocket pulls to the left when taking hands off bars since lowside last year

Martin-Brighton-uk

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Roadster in HOK Burgundy Candy
My Rocket has pulled to the left when I remove my hands from the bars since an off that I had last year. The engine bars took the brunt of an impact as shown in another thread Engine dresser bars
but it seems to be pulling ever since.
I've removed the front mudguard, loosened the triple clamps, headstock, jiggled the handlebars to straighten the forks several times now, (like the common thing done on triallie bike all the time to straighten front wheel after bike hitting the deck), even replaced the stock bars with t-bars too but still a pull. Happens on dual carriageways in the other lane, so not camber of road. Both front and back tyres replaced too, so not wear.

Before I go down the route of transmission repair I want to take it to a frame checker / straightener. I've got the engine out but will refit the swingarm/bevel box/rear wheel and take the rolling frame. I've got a large builders trailer so can transport it ok just need to work out where to.

Anyone had experience or recommendation of a frame straightener in the Southeast of England? I was thinking of taking it to these guys from what I've seen of reviews and that plenty of repair shops without facilities take to them Motorcycle Frame and Wheel Straightening Experts - Maidstone Motoliner Ltd
Any other recommendations?

I will be following this post as I too have had that issue for many years.

One Service Manager once told me to sit further on the right side of the seat. WTF?

I thought it was due to incorrectly installing the tip-over bars but I retorqued for naught.

Forks had new springs put in and then seals replaced a year later by two different shops so I don't think it's the yoke but don't know.

Here is how I fix mine that have Hagon Nitro and Progressive 440 shocks:

1. Loosen (counterclockwise from top view) LEFT rear shock.
2. Tighten (clockwise from top view) RIGHT rear shock.

Probably masking a real issue and I have to readjust periodically and when the load changes.

Herman has redone all 3 engine mounts after doing the stator repair so it will be interesting to see if that is a true fix to the bikes desire to circumnavigate the globe by 20-degree increments to the left.

One Service Manager once told me to sit further on the right side of the seat. WTF?

I thought it was due to incorrectly installing the tip-over bars but I retorqued for naught.

Forks had new springs put in and then seals replaced a year later by two different shops so I don't think it's the yoke but don't know.

Probably masking a real issue and I have to readjust periodically and when the load changes.

Herman has redone all 3 engine mounts after doing the stator repair so it will be interesting to see if that is a true fix to the bikes desire to circumnavigate the globe by 20-degree increments to the left.
Haha... the bikes desire to circumnavigate the globe by 20-degree increments to the left
I've got used to doing exactly what your Service Manager told you to do, I've got used to compensating for it as I'm sure you have, as but it's not correct..

I am not 100% sure but I don't think it was there before I had the off.

Good idea about the shocks, I've got YSS shocks which allow +- 10mm and could

The frame check seems a good idea for my situation. You could try removing the front mudguard, loosen the bottom fork yoke bolts but keep top done up. Jack up the front to lift it off the ground and give it a shake side to side, hold the wheel with your knees like on your pushbike when you was a kid if you like too and move the bars sightly, then gently down and tighten the bottom yoke bolts.

Haha... the bikes desire to circumnavigate the globe by 20-degree increments to the left
I've got used to doing exactly what your Service Manager told you to do, I've got used to compensating for it as I'm sure you have, as but it's not correct..

I am not 100% sure but I don't think it was there before I had the off.

Good idea about the shocks, I've got YSS shocks which allow +- 10mm and could

The frame check seems a good idea for my situation. You could try removing the front mudguard, loosen the bottom fork yoke bolts but keep top done up. Jack up the front to lift it off the ground and give it a shake side to side, hold the wheel with your knees like on your pushbike when you was a kid if you like too and move the bars sightly, then gently down and tighten the bottom yoke bolts.

Ah right yes you've already had the forks out by two different shops.. they should of refitted them straight. Dunno, put a brick in your right jacket pocket haha

I'll get my bike to that frame place and keep yous updated

its all about camber of the road...big fat rear tyre and torque...my 2020 GT on cruise control does the same...we also ride on the left...i just lean a tad to the right to counter it..its all good.

Mine still pulls to the left when I take bike to France on the channel tunnel and I ride on the other side of the road. Maybe cos it's a right left hand drive UK bike :roll:

Edit.. forgot what side I normally ride on 🙃

Last edited:
My Rocket has pulled to the left when I remove my hands from the bars since an off that I had last year. The engine bars took the brunt of an impact as shown in another thread Engine dresser bars
but it seems to be pulling ever since.
I've removed the front mudguard, loosened the triple clamps, headstock, jiggled the handlebars to straighten the forks several times now, (like the common thing done on triallie bike all the time to straighten front wheel after bike hitting the deck), even replaced the stock bars with t-bars too but still a pull. Happens on dual carriageways in the other lane, so not camber of road. Both front and back tyres replaced too, so not wear.

Before I go down the route of transmission repair I want to take it to a frame checker / straightener. I've got the engine out but will refit the swingarm/bevel box/rear wheel and take the rolling frame. I've got a large builders trailer so can transport it ok just need to work out where to.

Anyone had experience or recommendation of a frame straightener in the Southeast of England? I was thinking of taking it to these guys from what I've seen of reviews and that plenty of repair shops without facilities take to them Motorcycle Frame and Wheel Straightening Experts - Maidstone Motoliner Ltd
Any other recommendations?

My 2020 Rocket GT was pulling to the left the day i took it home.. Dealer looked at it but had no idea what to do.
Took it home and loosened and realigned the triple clamp using a sport chock to hold the front tire straight while i pushed the handlebar to the right just slightly.
Then tightened everything.. Now it pulled to the right.. Had to do it 4 times before i got the sweet spot.. The factory is supposed to have an alignment
tool, but evidently didnt take the time to do it right.. My bike would wander into oncoming traffic in 2 seconds with hands off the bars.

My 2020 Rocket GT was pulling to the left the day i took it home.. Dealer looked at it but had no idea what to do.
Took it home and loosened and realigned the triple clamp using a sport chock to hold the front tire straight while i pushed the handlebar to the right just slightly.
Then tightened everything.. Now it pulled to the right.. Had to do it 4 times before i got the sweet spot.. The factory is supposed to have an alignment
tool, but evidently didnt take the time to do it right.. My bike would wander into oncoming traffic in 2 seconds with hands off the bars.
Shame the dealer didn't pick it up at PDI bit you're right, keep the wheel straight, crack the clamp and turn the bars a tweak. As you say it took a couple of times to get the sweet spot I remember exactly that on bike I did it to before. Hopefully my bike will be exactly that issue.

Back