Rocket III Classic/HD Road King 1600 Comparo

Run off

Jamie, I believe you are right, there should have been a wider range of points between them for #1 and 2. I could possibly agree with #3,4,5,7a and 7b. Since it was in France 6 and 8 (8 because there would be no need to put the speed kits on the HD but I would think the "budget" would be shot after adding all the "individual" chrome, etc on the RK) is probably fair. As for #6 since it is France the speed (= riding pleasure=satisfaction when passing RK) advantage would probably be a neutral factor where ordinarily the Rocket would definitely shine in that category.
Overall, for France, it may be an accurate comparison, just felt that the Rocket may have been trying to win a contest with one hand (cylinder) tied behind it's back.
Dennis

I wonder if the Rocket they tested had the french power limiting tune loaded. I think it cuts it to 78.1 kw which right at 106 hp. The German bound Rockets are also power limited by law. We all know the HD need not to worry about such limitations.:)

Ridiculous

You're right. The Hardly is a myth and comparing it to the Rocket is a bit of a joke. The Rocket is a modern machine using reasonably up to date technology and handling many modes of riding quite well. The Hardly is 1930's technology that has been "updated" by buying the electrical system, the suspension, the fuel distribution and many other parts from the Japanese. Honda VTX's and Shadows are more American than Hardly, but the "myth" of American Iron lives on. If you like the bike, you should buy it and ride it, but don't try to compare it to something out of its league.

Back