+1 on the lockup. Have to be verry careful with the rear. Havn't went dark yet. How does it handle in the twisties (scraping the pegs) ?

NM ROCKET said:
+1 on the lockup. Have to be verry careful with the rear. Havn't went dark yet. How does it handle in the twisties (scraping the pegs) ?

You'll be replacing the hero blobs just like you always do. I feel more comfortable on the Riken than when I was running the Metz. Always has more rubber on the road than the Metz.

tdragger said:
Have you had the rear tire lock up yet with the Metz? After the 2nd time with the accompanying significant slide out I made the decision to go dark. No lock ups since then.

Seriously, I consider the Metz a safety issue. It locks up way too easy and the Raptor doesn't.

Unfortunately there have been 2 Captains on this board that have gone down where one of the factors has been a locked up Metz.

just my 2c.

Can you describe this "tire lockup " a bit more? What is happening; what type of riding or event is occurring when the lockup happens?

Kindest regards,

-Will

Will,
The best way to describe it is EXTREEM STOPPING", or trying to.
You loose control and your assend comes around past your frontend at a very high rate of speed.
That, or you leave black marks and still have no control.
Depends on the situation and road surface.
And if you're lucky, you can keep er up and not hit somethin.
I've not had any issues since I went with a CT, not worried about washing out or hydroplaning on wet surfaces at all either.
and cost plus longivity are an added bonus.

Well, I know that one should apply more brake effort to the front; as opposed to the rear.

So what you are telling me is that the Rocket has a propensity to lock up the rear tire even while applying more force to the front brake? When running a Metz compared to other tires? And the Metzler is the main reason, or are we/you/us talking about any other "motorcycle" tire in general on the Rocket?

I do know that rear tires can be locked up with a pronounced effort with braking.

Is this more of a peculiarity with the design and efficiency of the Rocket's rear brake system? I have noticed that my rear rotor always seems to be "hotter" than the front rotors after a ride; the rear shoes are not dragging on the rotor, and I am applying more force at times to the front, rather than the rear brakes.

Kindest Regards,

-Will

Will,
No. The Rocket is NOT more prone to lockup than any other bike I've ridden,
didn't mean to imply it did, or was more susceptible to this.
It's only in EXTREEM situations it WILL lock up like any other bike or vehicle.
Don't worry about it.
Just ride your ride and never go faster than you feel comfortable.
Emergency stops are gonna happen to all of us at one time or another.
Just a car tire has more patch on the ground and gives you more control in stopping, thats ALL I was trying to say.
Hope this eases your mind and explains it better. :wink:

Dropped the rock 18 months ago due to rear end lock up :oops:
situation: fairly steep descent approaching a 90 degree right hander, with a bit of water seepage off the hill & some loose stuff on the road. Must have applied too much back brake for the conditions ( weight loaded on the frount, a bit slippy etc). Result was the back snapped out fiercely & even letting go of the brakes didnt get me stable in time to avoid the corner crash.( rebraked & it snapped out the other way as stability wasn't regained in time)

If you locked up the rear and started sliding with the rear end coming around; why did you let up? Aren't you putting yourself in danger of "high-siding" it? From what you described immediately after the first slide/lock up incident, it sort of sounds like that's exactly what you had experienced.

FWIW, I am/was still driving around today trying to get the "chicken strips" a little narrower on my rear tire, but there's so many "Sunday morning" drivers cruising around on this Labor day (holiday over here) that I gave up and went to a vacant parking lot. I ended up doing 20 minutes of really tight circular turns with figure eight's thrown in and now feel that the rear tire is not washing out so much on a hard turn.

Overlooking the parking lot was a gas station, and I went there to fuel up before going home. The attendant there apparently was watching this imbecile driving around in circles for no apparent reason and remarked " You having fun out there...?" I tried to tell him what I was doing but he couldn't fathom it.

In hindsight, it was a little fun after all :lol:

Kindest regards,

-Will

The real problem is that so much weight gets transferred to the front during braking so the rear brake is only 15% useful. I locked the rear brake twice in 10 seconds while trailering during my spring trip. Both times it went sideways :shock: and I let go the rear and applied more front and steered around the bike that was doing a panic stop in front of me. Lesson learned for the next 2600 miles, stay off the rear brake until the trailer is off. I now use the rear sparingly and I'm a dark sider. It is a good speed trim but stopping power is all in the front even with all that meat in the rear.

Back