Can’t say enough good things about the undercut transmission. Slight tap and it slips into second so easily. Got to test the quickshifter for the first time with the new gears, brilliant pure brilliant. 90ms fuel cut, and it’s a seamless shift!! Can’t wait till it’s dry out:evil:

These are some valid concerns we need to hash out.
The first day from Tacoma to Medical Lake is about 350 miles and good roads. Even with a stop for lunch you guys should be able to do it in 6-7 hours.
upload_2018-2-1_8-24-26.png

The second day (Day 1 from Medical Lake) is the killer. Just straight riding is about 10 hours. With stops for food, gas, pictures, stretching will run it into at least 12 hours I think. That's a long day for anyone. :(
Here is an amended 1st day from Medical lake. This would get the Spiral Hiway and Rattlesnake Pass on that day. It would be an overnight in LaGrande.
upload_2018-2-1_8-9-50.png

Day 2 Would be Snake Canyon Dam and then head west with an overnight in Umatilla or somewhere close by.
upload_2018-2-1_8-16-31.png

Day 3 would get you back to Tacoma via superslab along the Columbia River.
upload_2018-2-1_8-19-2.png

These rides would give plenty of time for sightseeing along the way, plenty of time for other stops and possible rerouting into side roads if it looks good.
This is just an idea I have thrown out so we can get maximum participation. There is still plenty of time to play with days and routes. I am still open to whatever the consensus is.
bob
bob

BOB,
What are you talking about?
The first "long" day is just 374 miles and perhaps 7 hours saddle time - not 12!
All the other days are merely 264 mi, 203 mi, 92 mi & 2a couple at 250 mi.
Me reckons that these distances are NOT considered by most riders as high mileage days!
I have heard/read no concerns about the mileage so far. If there are, I intend to accommodate everybody as best as possible.
Considering that you have stated you intend to only ride the first day, I am confused why you have added an extra day and eliminated all the awesome Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens roads & scenery that many have never seen before?
Respectfully . . .

BOB,
What are you talking about?
The first "long" day is just 374 miles and perhaps 7 hours saddle time - not 12!
All the other days are merely 264 mi, 203 mi, 92 mi & 2a couple at 250 mi.
Me reckons that these distances are NOT considered by most riders as high mileage days!
Respectfully . . .

Your own mapping of the route says the first day is 10+ hours. That is where I get that. Perhaps the saddle time will be close to 7 hours, the full day with stops, etc will be more, that is where that comes from. You are right, those aren't high mileage days, but we aren't talking interstate miles either until you guys hit 84 and head west.

I was thinking rides with plenty of time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the scenery this part of the country offers. If not that's fine.

Maybe just basing out of the wet side and doing just the roads over there would work best if there is only one day to do the dry side. Both sides offer plenty of good rides to take up a week and then we (you) wouldn't be taking up 2 full days transiting the width of the state (one day each way).

bob

SUGGESTION ONLY . . .
For the sake of time, I had eliminated a great ride over the North Cascades on hwy 20 (upper north of the state).
Current plan is for those that wish to start and end at my place in Tacoma, is to ride to Spokane on the 15th of July and begin the RAA ride on the 16th from there.
That ride is 284 miles on the dull-ass I-90 freeway. This alternate would allow a very scenic ride over the North Cascade Highway and would be a 400 mile day.
Driving Directions from 1006 Brentwood Pl Fircrest, WA to Medical Lake, WA - MapQuest

SUGGESTION ONLY . . .
For the sake of time, I had eliminated a great ride over the North Cascades on hwy 20 (upper north of the state).
Current plan is for those that wish to start and end at my place in Tacoma, is to ride to Spokane on the 15th of July and begin the RAA ride on the 16th from there.
That ride is 284 miles on the dull-ass I-90 freeway. This alternate would allow a very scenic ride over the North Cascade Highway and would be a 400 mile day.
Driving Directions from 1006 Brentwood Pl Fircrest, WA to Medical Lake, WA - MapQuest

Or................. split the difference and take Highway 2, not as pretty as Hwy 20 but not as dull as I90.

bob

upload_2018-2-4_15-25-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-4_15-23-16.png
    upload_2018-2-4_15-23-16.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
Or................. split the difference and take Highway 2, not as pretty as Hwy 20 but not as dull as I90.
bob
upload_2018-2-4_15-25-9.png

Bob,
I agree that SR2 tis better than I-90, but then only I-5 (Everett to Portland is worse that I-90!?!
I shall give all that show up at my place either of the three options.

FYI, The Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally is in Baker City July 12 to July 16. You may want to check hotel availability and reserve your rooms. Hopefully every one will be cleared out by the 16th, or most everyone.
Register - Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally
bob

Don't think there will be a problem as we'll be there on the 16th when everyone is gone.
I usually stay at the Best Western Sunridge Inn, just off the freeway. Reasonable and has a good bar & restaurant.

Back