alselec

.060 Over
Anyone try the NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs for the R3? Supposed to give better milage and power.

I've inquired about the same. Sure, at the 7-14$ each X 6 it's questionable as to whether there's sufficient offset. I've given it a serious thought or two myself. Plug life may be good for 30-40k miles?? I found the Platinum IVs to give significant boost in a supercharged v-6. The Iridiums weren't on the market then.

With two plugs per cylinder already I think any gain in performance would be negligable at best. HeR3tic go ahead and do it I want to see if you can spend more on plugs than you did on one oil filter.:D

IT would be real close, if I go that route in 15K or so:) But Pelosi's tax increase may prohibit me from get a cheeseburger let alone $100 in plugs. I need to get a stable gas mileage figure before I consider it. IF <34 holds through 15K I may try to achieve the proclaimed 39mpg. But PIg, it's rigded for more pleasure:) And not as obtrusive as that chrome dome:(
(

Last edited:
Question Number 9

I read somewhere that you can take a regular plug and chop off the side electrode flush with the center electrode and that will give you a better electric flame kernel to ignite the mixture better. I guess that's what IndyCar drivers have their mechanics do. It's supposed to give you a little more power and better fuel mileage. Me personally, the R3 has enough power and I didn't buy it for mileage. If I wanted mileage, I'd have bought a MoPed.:D

Wouldn't chopping the electrode be similar to a Splitfire Plug??

Spitfires caused misfires at idle and cat damage due to the raw fuel passed, hence all the lawsuits and the demise of almost everything "Splitfire".For awhile we were throwing them away just as fast as we could pull them out of customer's cars. It was a gimick backed by heavy advertising as a scheme to make large profits, they didn't cost any more to make, but they sure were a lot more expensive to buy. On top of that they were a cheaply made poor quality plug, most had compression leaks, many had cracked porcelin.

The best part of the Splitfire scam was that Harley Davidson sold them under the Screaming Eagle brand.....

Indexing

I'm not familiar with the technique of indexing plugs; but, I may inquire further with my neighbor. He's and his brood are dirt track stock car racers, and they do quite well. He mentioned indexing plugs:confused: But, perhaps the Platinum IVs would save the hassle?

Last edited:
Spitfires caused misfires at idle and cat damage due to the raw fuel passed, hence all the lawsuits and the demise of almost everything "Splitfire".For awhile we were throwing them away just as fast as we could pull them out of customer's cars. It was a gimick backed by heavy advertising as a scheme to make large profits, they didn't cost any more to make, but they sure were a lot more expensive to buy. On top of that they were a cheaply made poor quality plug, most had compression leaks, many had cracked porcelin.

The best part of the Splitfire scam was that Harley Davidson sold them under the Screaming Eagle brand.....

Tomo:

I never knew that. I always wondered what happened to that brand. Maybe HD owns them??:D My preference is Bosch Fine wire racing plugs. Very expensive but good. Bosch windshield wipers are crap however.

Ngk Dpr8eix-9

The Platiunums IVs I've referred to are actually Bosch Platinum +4. I've used the +2 and +4 in both of my caged vehicles. I believe the RIII is stock with NGK DPR8EA-9 ??? < Verified

I've not found a cross reference for NGK iridiums DPR8EIX-9 to a Bosch plug. http://www.gadgetjq.com/spark_plug_cross_reference_motorcycle.htm
The NGK to Denso iridium is IX24B http://www.denso.com.au/sparkplug/xref

The Denso to Bosch x-ref search was vague. The IX24 (no B) search was referrenced to Bosch X4CS, XR2CS, and XR4CS. I was unable to determine whether any of these were platinum or iridium or of the combination Fusion variety.

I did find one source for the NGK iridiums @ 6.95$

I found this cross referencing at another site, from which I'll guess the XR3CS would be the mid range Bosch plug:

"Autolite 4164, 4163, 4162

NGK DPR7EA-9, DPR8EA-9, DPR9EA-9
NGK Platinum DPR7EV-9, DPR8EV-9, DPR9EV-9

Denso X22EPR-U9, X24EPR-U9, X27EPR-U9
Denso Platinum X22EPZU9, X24EPZU9, X27EPZU9
Denso Iridium IX22B, IX24B, IX27B

Champion RA6HC, RA7HC, RA8HC

Splitfire SF416B, SF416C, SF416D
Splitfire Platinum TP416D

Bosch XR4CS, XR3CS, XR2CS"

I'll defer to any experts on exactly what the heat range numbers mean.
Note that the above x-ref, from another site, does not include the NGK Iridium plugs.

Last edited:
Back