Q about emission standards sticker

Waylonizer

Standard Bore
I'm in a blizzard up here in Mount Shasta in Northern California, and after plowing out my driveway and entry road, contracted a bad case of spring fever, so I 4-wheeled it out to our friendly little office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). To tell you how bad the storm is, I was the only one at the office.

So here's the info I got. To buy a motorcyle out of state and then be able to register it in California, the bike must have 7,500 miles or more -- or it must meet the same emission standards as in California. The lady at DMV said there is a permanent federal sticker that is affixed to new bikes that are 50-state models and can be registered in California, regardless of miles.

On Harleys, for instance, you can't register a low-miles bike bought out of state, because they manufacture a 49-state model.

My guess is that because the Rocket is manufacturered in the UK that it comes standadized as a 50-state model. If so, that means any used Rocket anywhere could be in play for me in California, as I scour the web for the right deal. Do Rockets have some kind of federal sticker, or something else like the DMV lady was describing?

I'm comfortable buying long distance. My wife and me bought a '67 Mustang long distance after a pre-buy inspection, had it shipped, and it worked out great. So I'm hoping for big playing field in the search.

Get this: The forecast is for 16 inches of snow tonight.

Not So

My guess is that because the Rocket is manufacturered in the UK that it comes standadized as a 50-state model. If so, that means any used Rocket anywhere could be in play for me in California, as I scour the web for the right deal.
California models have a charcoal canister attached. A few odd recipients elsewhere also have a canister equipped model. Most do not. Perhaps someone, outside the malfluenced left coast, have removed the canister and will let it go for a special individual ;)

Last edited:
Gunshots, here in Michigan took delivery of his bike with the cannister attached. he removed his and I think he has it in the garage.

Triumph produces all their bikes 2 ways. 49 State and 50 State so you'll have to get a cannister model or affix a cannister. I'm very glad I don't live there.....what bs.

16 inches of snow? Maybe Arnold will find a way to run that snow through a catalytic convertor to 'clean' it.

I used to work in title and license for a fleet company and as you can imagine, CA is the worst state to plate a vehicle. That 7500 mile is a killer, we used to tell clients to drive around Nevada for awhile to hit that magic number. :eek:

USA
2005 model rocket III were the last , that some models had
empty cat boxes. FED law pasted in 2006.. ALL motorcycle will have cats
unless they are under 500cc or the Manufacturer makes less then 3000 models
a year .If I Remember correctly even that will be fazed out by 2010 .
Don't know about regulations outside USA .

wayne

Flips got it right charcoal canister lays on a shelf could be had for freight for a fellow captain..... maybe I could grill a chicken over it:flame:

There you have it Waylonier. Get the Cat-B0x and fit it to the RIGHT bike, tempo, for inspections around it :D

That's funny if I have to say myself:

Last edited:
Collective knowledge

Man, I sure appreciate the collective brain power of the rocket pilots here. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Back