Primary TPS bad?

Furious

Standard Bore
Hey Guys,

So for the last year I've been trying to track down a throttle problem on my Rocket.

I finally got around to checking the idle stepper, but when I try to adjust it using Tuneboy to watch the voltage, the voltage never changes (This happened with the original and a new one I bought from Triumph). Would this be indicative of a problem with the primary TPS?

Thanks,
Jake

1.) Do you have high idle issues - approx. 2000 rpm?
2.) Are you checking the ISCV stepper with the bike running, or just with the key/kill-switch on?

(Also, TPS issues can show as erratic idle issues, stalling intermittently at junctions due to revs falling below sustainable idle).

Think of it as a bad rheostat. sometimes it looses it position like a section is corroded. other times is looses its zore position and sometimes cuurent jumps across several layers at once. Pull it off and install a new one !!!!

1.) Do you have high idle issues - approx. 2000 rpm?
2.) Are you checking the ISCV stepper with the bike running, or just with the key/kill-switch on?

I don't just have idle issues, I have throttle issues. I can ride the bike in 5th at 45 mph with my hand off the throttle. Let me tell you, it's not a feeling of safety.

Idle starts off fine but throttle stays up to a degree after you twist it. Tuneboy shows that the throttle is always engaged between 1.5 and 7.x% depending on how much you play with the throttle at idle. Full twist goes shows 100% throttle.

I've been checking the stepper with the motor off.

I don't just have idle issues, I have throttle issues. I can ride the bike in 5th at 45 mph with my hand off the throttle. Let me tell you, it's not a feeling of safety.

Idle starts off fine but throttle stays up to a degree after you twist it. Tuneboy shows that the throttle is always engaged between 1.5 and 7.x% depending on how much you play with the throttle at idle. Full twist goes shows 100% throttle.

I've been checking the stepper with the motor off.

The throttle maintaining power ( riding with your hand off it) is a symptom of 'high idle' ie it's not settling down to 750revs ( or whatever you have it set to) or it takes a number of seconds to settle itself after you take your hand off throttle.. This is definately TPS

Definately TPS.Same happened to mine.If i switched the bike of and then back on again it would idle ok and then all of a sudden it would high idle.

Definately TPS.Same happened to mine.If i switched the bike of and then back on again it would idle ok and then all of a sudden it would high idle.

Step1, this is the same thing I was having to do the last time I rode it.

Okay, thanks guys. TPS is next, then.

Make sure when you get the new TPS that it is the new one.They have upgraded this part.

New upgraded ones have a different parts code to the older ones & in the buisness end, the potentiometer 'teeth' sre coloured blue ( old are black) mention it to the dealer to see how familiar they are with it.

Primary TPS are very hard to come by. Been waiting nearly 3 weeks for dealer to get one from Triumph NA. I guess they had to get some from the old country and put them on a 3 masted sailing ship.

Back