Previous member but gone 12 years

TexasBob

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket III
My 2006 Rocket III was as painful an experience when it was running as it has been sitting under a tarp for over 5 years.
When it ran it was the greatest enjoyment I ever experienced. But the plague of problems and the long trips to dealers to drop it off and then wait because they never had parts in stock.
Seems that my bike was always contrary when the dealer attempted to enter data into the computer. Like when they replaced the throttle position sensor because after the bike warmed up it would idle at 2100 rpm. After messing with it for 5 HOURS, they were closing and gave it back with the new sensor but it still was idling fast but they promised it would "self acclimate" in about 100 miles. The bike kept overheating in the stop and go traffic on a Friday 4th of July crossing the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. It took over 1000 miles to "self acclimate".
Many more R3 experiences have made me bitter toward Triumph but not enough to shed my "Grey Mistress".
So now I am considering attempting to find a skilled Triumph service department that can crack open her transmission at replace whatever part has disconnected the outer lever shaft to the internal shifting mechanism.
The last thing the dealership in Little Rock did to my bike in 2009 at the end of the warranty period was to install a warranty upgrade kit of several things including a second gear synchronizer ( which I wasn't having any problems with). The second gear shift became difficult and "crunchy" to the feel, which never improved and now is stuck in second gear and disconnected from the shifter.
I am in N.E. Texas with limited resources about to retire with a R3 yard art! Perhaps someone can point me in a direction to save my "Mistress" from my current frustration.

Welcome back sorry about your problems.
Sounds like your lifter/shaft is messed up.
For 2nd try to rock back and forth to see if it changes with engine off if it does it can b fixed from front

What city in N/E Republic of Texas are you in brother?

Try these guys if it’s close enough for you.

I used to like RPM Cycle in Farmers Branch/Carrollton but they’ve closed down 👎

Welcome back, and bummer, it sounds like the stupid silly little bolt came loose and fell out. I've got an 05 engine sitting on the floor, with the same problem. Have to pull the engine, split the case. Special tool for removing stator. Lot's of work for ONE LITTLE bolt!:banghead:
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edge of the "Republic", rural to Texarkana for the last 15 years! Got banded from Little Rock dealer for my "*****ing" about my "Mistress". Six hour throttle sensor replacement (after quoted "about an hour") was dealer on Airport Highway in Fort Worth. Bought it from dealer on K Avenue in Plano (minor disagreement about ordering an ignition key by number for $15 and getting a blank key the day I bought the R3).Triumph/Harley dealer in Tyler had a shop mechanic ask me "Why do you want to own a piece of crap like that?" when I went in to buy stuff for my oil change (I didn't EVEN consider letting them touch my "Mistress", even though I ask myself that question everytime I took it in for repairs!)
By the end of the 3 year warranty I still managed to rack up 40k miles even with having it in the shop a lot. Comments about how my bike had far and away more miles than any other R3 they serviced made me wonder at the time "Why?"
"Trust issues" I believe they call it!

Edge of the "Republic", rural to Texarkana for the last 15 years! Got banded from Little Rock dealer for my "*****ing" about my "Mistress". Six hour throttle sensor replacement (after quoted "about an hour") was dealer on Airport Highway in Fort Worth. Bought it from dealer on K Avenue in Plano (minor disagreement about ordering an ignition key by number for $15 and getting a blank key the day I bought the R3).Triumph/Harley dealer in Tyler had a shop mechanic ask me "Why do you want to own a piece of crap like that?" when I went in to buy stuff for my oil change (I didn't EVEN consider letting them touch my "Mistress", even though I ask myself that question everytime I took it in for repairs!)
By the end of the 3 year warranty I still managed to rack up 40k miles even with having it in the shop a lot. Comments about how my bike had far and away more miles than any other R3 they serviced made me wonder at the time "Why?"
"Trust issues" I believe they call it!
The Harley/Triumph dealer in Tyler SUCKS with Triumph. All they care/know about is Harley. I wouldn’t let them touch mine with a ten foot pole. Do all my own work except had RPM Cycle do my valves. They were great. Too bad they closed down. I don’t know about the dealer in Plano but heard great things about Euro Sport in Ft Worth. Ya might try them.
Sounds like you’ve had quite a bit more problems than most of us have. My 05 has been very reliable….. knock on wood

WELCOME Back! I'm happy my '14 seems to have most earlier issues ironed out. When I purchased the first-year new Thunderbird... I had every problem that back ever had... Loved her anyways. I guess that's whey we consider them "Family"... :cool:
-MIG

Back