picture of home made 'Triumph Special Tool" for swingarm/engine mounts

Hipporider

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3, 2010 R3R
AUD$13 dollar 1-1/8 socket with 20 min of grinding replaces need for AUD$150 special tool for loosening lock nut on swingarm. A smaller size of[SUP]15/[/SUP]16 th socket is needed for engine mount locknut.To make one ,measure the slot in the locknut,10mm in the swingarm locknut case, then grind at least 8mm either side away from the bottom of the valley inside the hex while measuring each pass ,working your way into the measurement need of 5mm either side of the valley.This results in the castellated area having strong sides with a central 'V' of the original socket smack in the middle of the castellated area that locks into the locknut .Your locknut will undo without any damage to it and you can use your ½ drive on it as well as torque wrench if needed. Also it was observed the left hand side of swingarm bolt (17mm allen key driver needed but my mate fabbed one up with a nut & bolt) needed a dose of thread spray ( i used INOX but some might use WD-40) overnight then a thump with a brass drift and a heavy hammer to unloosen it ,before attempting to undo it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go, Joe!

As I would like to copy what you have done, can you please advise the exact poundage of the thump, and the angle and speed of application of same, for my records??

Thanking you in advance..............

ididnt hit ,my mate did.It was a heavy hit using a brick/club hammer with a brass drift to not damage bike.
Way to go, Joe!

As I would like to copy what you have done, can you please advise the exact poundage of the thump, and the angle and speed of application of same, for my records??

Thanking you in advance..............

Back