Picture for Freds wife(x rate'd)

After our high speed train journey at Stearns we sat down for a bite to eat and Freds wife about had a heart attack
Q46Kyc09QJiuQOWpeZzJug.jpg

Melissa would like to thank you Dave for making her relive the nightmare !

Royal Crown maybe, Mountain Dew wasn't around then.
Wow, you must be really old! Moon pies came out in 1917 and Mountain Dew in 1940. Been drinking them since the early 60's. YaHooo Mountain Dew! And yes I still have all my original teeth.

Wow, you must be really old! Moon pies came out in 1917 and Mountain Dew in 1940. Been drinking them since the early 60's. YaHooo Mountain Dew! And yes I still have all my original teeth.

You are right - I had to look it up. I never saw them in Texas until the late 70's-80"s. Dr Pepper and Coke had the stranglehold in Tx. Stores/fast food had one flavor group or the other

You are right - I had to look it up. I never saw them in Texas until the late 70's-80"s. Dr Pepper and Coke had the stranglehold in Tx. Stores/fast food had one flavor group or the other
Phew, you scared me for a minute as I thought I was having a lapse in memory. I love the Dew, of course now it's Diet Dew. Makes for a good meal (snack); Diet Dew with two 50 cent bags of salted peanuts- swallow the first gulp, add the peanuts and work the meal until you have one swallow and one peanut left in the bottle. Then finish off your meal with the understanding that your day is going just perfect!

As the story goes, I believe it was said "I'll have a NeeHi and a Moonpie".
And Melisa went on the ride just to get a moonpie. All she has been telling Fred since Stearns, "Honey, when we going back"?

Must be a UK Aussie thing but Wagon Wheels used to rule when I was a kid.

Another great Aussie invention and we have bigger ones too!;):D

I remember them being thinner and larger too!

P1010341.JPG

Ahha Canada and Ireland too!

Wagon Wheels - Wikipedia

Wagon Wheels were created by Garry Weston, son of W. Garfield Weston.[1] Garry Weston worked for his father's business in Australia before taking over his family's business in England. The biscuits were launched at the 1976 OlympiaFood Fair.[1] The name (originally "Weston Wagon Wheels") relates to the shape of the biscuits and capitalized on the Wild West, which was popular in mass media at the time.

In Australia, Wagon Wheels are produced by Arnott's Biscuits.George Weston Foods Limited sold the brand to Arnott's in August 2003.[2][full citation needed]

In the United Kingdom Wagon Wheels are produced and distributed by Burton's Foods who separated from the Weston family connection when they were sold out of Associated British Foods in 2000.[3] The original factory which produced the biscuit was in Slough but during the early 1980s production was transferred to an updated and modern factory in Llantarnam in South Wales.[1] Weston had been producing biscuits on the Slough site since 1934[4] and the Llantarnamsite since 1938.[5]

In Canada, Wagon Wheels were originally produced by McCormick's however, they are now under the Dare Foods Limited name.[1] They come in Original, Fudge, Choco Cherry, and Raspberry flavours.[citation needed]

There have been many debates amongst fans of the biscuit about its size. Wagon Wheels have supposedly shrunk in size over time, but Burton's Foods Ltd has denied this. It has been suggested that the supposed shrinkage is due to an adult's childhood memory of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand; this argument is perhaps moot, as it does not explain why the modern Wagon Wheel appears to be fatter than the original. Furthermore, in Australia, Arnott's has stated that tray packs of Wagon Wheels were in fact 'Mini Wagon Wheels' and have re-released the original 48g Wagon Wheels.[6][full citation needed]

The original factory in Slough produced the biscuit with crinkled edges and corn cobbs rather than the updated smoother edges. This caused the overall diameter of the biscuit to shrink slightly, but not as much as fans of the biscuit believe.[citation needed]

Also, although the UK Wagon Wheel has barely shrunk, it is still noticeably smaller than the Australian equivalent. As of 2006 the diameter of the Australian version is measured at 88 mm which is 14 mm larger than the UK version, while the UK Wagon Wheel is notably thicker by 4 mm.[1]

Last edited:
Moon pie - Wikipedia

A moon pie or stylized as MoonPie[1] is an American confection, popular across much of the United States, which consists of two round graham cracker cookies, with marshmallow filling in the center, dipped in a flavored coating. The snack is often associated with the cuisine of the American South where they are traditionally accompanied by an RC Cola.[2] Today, Moon pies are made by Chattanooga Bakery, Inc. in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

The traditional pie is approximately 4 inches (10 centimetres) in diameter. A smaller version exists (mini Moon pie) that is approximately half the size, and a Double-Decker Moon pie of the traditional diameter features a third cookie and attendant layer of marshmallow. The five main flavors are chocolate, vanilla, banana, strawberry, and salted caramel. Orange and coconut make seasonal appearances during the Mardi Gras parading season.

History

A double-decker Moon Pie split in half
Moon pies have been made daily at the Chattanooga Bakery since the brand's inception on April 29, 1917. Earl Mitchell Junior said his father came up with the idea for Moon pies when he asked a Kentucky coal miner what kind of snack he would like to eat, and the miner requested something with graham cracker and marshmallow. Popular folklore, repeated and encouraged by Chattanooga Bakery itself, states the miner then asked the snack be "as big as the moon",[1] which inspired the name "moon pie".

There is a custom for eating Moon pies with RC Cola, although the origin of this is unknown.[2] It is likely that their inexpensive prices, combined with their larger serving sizes, contributed to establishing this combination as the "working man's lunch". The popularity of this combination was celebrated in a popular song of the 1950s, by Big Bill Lister, "Gimmee an RC Cola and a Moon Pie".[1] In 1973, NRBQ had a minor hit with the song, "An RC Cola and a Moon Pie".

Since New Year's Eve 2008, the city of Mobile, Alabama has been lowering a 12-foot-tall (3.7 m) lighted mechanical moon pie to celebrate the coming of the new year. The giant Moon pie descends the 34 story RSA BankTrust building at the strike of midnight.[3] Every NYE, the world's largest Moon pie is cut and served to the public as part of the festivities. It weighs 55 pounds (25 kg) and contains 45,000 calories (190 kJ).[4]

An annual RC Cola and Moon pie festival is celebrated in Bell Buckle, Tennessee, and a Moon pie eating contest is held in Bessemer, Alabama.

On October 14, 2017, Matt Stonie, a competitive eater famous in national eating contests, ate 73 Single-Decker Moon pies in eight minutes at the Bass Pro Shops store in Memphis, TN.

Newport, Tennessee held its first annual Moon pie Festival in May 2012.

The company is celebrating its centennial anniversary with a "My Favorite MoonPie Memory" contest. The grand prize winner gets a 100-year supply of Moon pies. It's also taking a wrapped Winnebago across the country in the Fall, thanking its top customers and attending various sporting events and festivals.

In September 2017, as part of its Centennial, Moon pie returned to the original recipe, replacing HFCS with real sugar and removing preservatives and artificial colors and flavors.

Back