Pain can rattle- oil pump drive chain?

meanchuck

.060 Over
I have developed the paint can rattle in my 05 R3 at 24000 miles and is loudest at 2000 rpm and can be heard at idle and when warmed up. At 13500 miles my rear output shaft was replaced along with all the other upgrades including the lower cam sprocket so I think it is the oil pump drive chain especially since the noise is louder on the left side of the bike.

My biggest concern is whether it is safe to ride till I can get it fixed? Has anyone ever heard of these chains slipping off the sprockets or breaking entirely?

I wouldn't expect them to on a 5 year old bike especially after all the parts they already replaced for free and I am very grateful for that. I don't mind fixing it, I just don't want to blow it up.

Ya know .... that's something I've yet to read here .... that a bike blew up. I mean if you get a large group of owners together with any other kind of bike, the conversation always has a story of when one shot craps in a big way. Has anyone heard of an R3 blowing up? Like came apart internally?

Back