Osiyo! Greetings from Oklahoma City!

Greeting from North Dallas. Congrats on the bike. I agree. Ride it for a while (like 1000) miles before you do any significant performance upgrades or retunes. The first things I would do is a new air intake (like triple K&Ns or Ramair), a cat delete, new tuen, and a new slip-on. That combo gives many all the power you'll ever want for less than a grand.

Greeting from North Dallas. Congrats on the bike. I agree. Ride it for a while (like 1000) miles before you do any significant performance upgrades or retunes. The first things I would do is a new air intake (like triple K&Ns or Ramair), a cat delete, new tuen, and a new slip-on. That combo gives many all the power you'll ever want for less than a grand.
Or you could just ride like you don't have to go anywhere in a hurry.

This is an interesting and geographically diverse group. I’ve been following a few weeks as a visitor reading alot and decided to sign up in hopes of learning more about Rockets and making a few new friends with a common interest.

I recently found a deal on a pristine ‘08 Touring with 6k miles. I couldn’t walk away from it. I’m at the bottom of the learning curve on these bikes, fill me in guys.
Does anyone know where to get an owners manual or maintenance schedule?

I’ve read about problems with camchain blades or tensioner on the ‘08’s. Was there a redesign or recall? Is this something I need to correct before it tears up something major? Will the pistons hit open valves at TDC?

I’ve read the ‘08 was detuned or retuned for touring torque. I believe it, this thing pulls like a tractor. Would I see worthwhile improvement from retuning and letting it breathe a little? I’m not thinking I want 250hp, just optimized without sacrificing reliability, I can see at most maybe cams and a little head work, truth is I don’t know where I cross the line and sacrifice reliability. Help me out guys, I want a bike I can go coast to coast on without worrying about it.

Also, I see you guys swapping tunes in the resources section, I’m at a total loss on the whole Power Commander, Tuneboy, electronics deal, in simple terms what are they doing and what do I need?

What about the exhaust, the cat is going to go, is there a major difference between decatting and off road slip ons vs. a complete system that includes headers? Does anybody do a 3 into 1 or offer tuned pipes for a touring, or should I just stick with crossover pipe and exhaust on both sides?

There is a Triumph mechanic called Colvin Motorcycle or C.R.E. Performance Racing near me who has a Dyno and says he knows and can tune Rockets, but wasn’t sure where to find parts anymore, does anybody know of him good or bad?

Where do I source the parts I will need, who is recommended and who should I avoid?

Lots of questions I know, like I said I’ve read the forums for a few weeks and still am not clear on the questions above. I wouldn’t expect anybody to answer them all and I truly appreciate any information offered.

I look forward to getting to know you folks. I see a few Okies on the map around me, any of you guys looking for another Rocket to ride with my name is John, please drop me a line!

Thanks!

6923CF8A-D9C6-4129-B6BE-5C8FA07C5DEA.jpeg 51435E2F-BBFF-4F73-96D4-31F8E65E6FBE.jpeg

Greetings from New Zealand my wife and i are big NBA fans and follow OKC Thunder as Steve Adams is a Kiwi. When we come over next we're going to some games.

Greetings

Another welcome from New Zealand John...down south in Christchurch...even tho I do have indian blood, I don't speak the language...but ...I can whistle it!! Enjoy the company, the bike and the forum!.cheers Tal.

Sonny!!..I wish you would just hush on these rides!!..you know I'm busting to come on them!!!...we need videos so we unfortunate ones who live way over here, can see what you lot get up to...enjoy!

This is an interesting and geographically diverse group. I’ve been following a few weeks as a visitor reading alot and decided to sign up in hopes of learning more about Rockets and making a few new friends with a common interest.

I recently found a deal on a pristine ‘08 Touring with 6k miles. I couldn’t walk away from it. I’m at the bottom of the learning curve on these bikes, fill me in guys.
Does anyone know where to get an owners manual or maintenance schedule?

I’ve read about problems with camchain blades or tensioner on the ‘08’s. Was there a redesign or recall? Is this something I need to correct before it tears up something major? Will the pistons hit open valves at TDC?

I’ve read the ‘08 was detuned or retuned for touring torque. I believe it, this thing pulls like a tractor. Would I see worthwhile improvement from retuning and letting it breathe a little? I’m not thinking I want 250hp, just optimized without sacrificing reliability, I can see at most maybe cams and a little head work, truth is I don’t know where I cross the line and sacrifice reliability. Help me out guys, I want a bike I can go coast to coast on without worrying about it.

Also, I see you guys swapping tunes in the resources section, I’m at a total loss on the whole Power Commander, Tuneboy, electronics deal, in simple terms what are they doing and what do I need?

What about the exhaust, the cat is going to go, is there a major difference between decatting and off road slip ons vs. a complete system that includes headers? Does anybody do a 3 into 1 or offer tuned pipes for a touring, or should I just stick with crossover pipe and exhaust on both sides?

There is a Triumph mechanic called Colvin Motorcycle or C.R.E. Performance Racing near me who has a Dyno and says he knows and can tune Rockets, but wasn’t sure where to find parts anymore, does anybody know of him good or bad?

Where do I source the parts I will need, who is recommended and who should I avoid?

Lots of questions I know, like I said I’ve read the forums for a few weeks and still am not clear on the questions above. I wouldn’t expect anybody to answer them all and I truly appreciate any information offered.

I look forward to getting to know you folks. I see a few Okies on the map around me, any of you guys looking for another Rocket to ride with my name is John, please drop me a line!

Thanks!

6923CF8A-D9C6-4129-B6BE-5C8FA07C5DEA.jpeg 51435E2F-BBFF-4F73-96D4-31F8E65E6FBE.jpeg
Greetings from NW FL.

Handlebar risers are good start, a good air horn always gets their attention, then just wear out the tires. You'll get a good idea by then.

Sonny!!..I wish you would just hush on these rides!!..you know I'm busting to come on them!!!...we need videos so we unfortunate ones who live way over here, can see what you lot get up to...enjoy!
Next one i will take the camera with me. Most of the time don't think about it. Remember am the dinosaur with a flip phone.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back