Not Happy! 3rd brake bleed required.

Mighty Mouse

It's All In The Reflexes!
Ride
Your girlfriend
So before I bought my 2020 Rocket it was on the showroom floor for around 8 months. I kept trying to lowball them and they kept declining. After 8 months they threw in the Panniers and rack and dropped the price a few cents so I bought it. I asked, after reading on this forum about rear brake bleeds for the newer gen Rockets. The salesman stated it was already done. I should have dug in further and asked for documentation but I didn't. I bought the Rocket and after less than a year I needed 'another' brake bleed. Now 16 months later I need another. I was out riding today using the brakes like we all do with 80% to 90% front and maybe 10% to 20% rear. I have noticed in the last 150 miles it getting spongy but I was hoping it wasn't what I knew it was. Nope, it went right to the floor (imaginary floor) when checking it out on a backroad rear brake only. Since I'm out of warranty by 4 months I wonder if they will honor the 8 month old bleed and fix it for free or bone me full bore. Both front and rear pads look great. I planned on going in and getting the oil changed in a week or so but that's only if I can get money from the blood bank and sperm bank this month.:mad:

Last edited:
Get a bud and in a minute you can bleed the rear brake cylinder.
Yeah i know what they say.
Havs a bud pump it about three times and hold then release the bleeder screw pedal will go to floor then tighten screw then slowly release pedal.
Doe this about 3 times
Should b good for a while.

I agree with Turbo.
Do it yourself. It's not difficult. The trickiest part is filling the reservoir.
It may not be the permanent fix that we all wish for, but it will give you good pedal again.
Similar for oil change.
DIY saves you $$$ and gives you the satisfaction of knowing that it was done correctly and not by a 17yo apprentice with his mind on what particular gender he feels like being today.
Brake bleed and oil change, all done and dusted in a couple of hours and then you can go for a ride, instead of wasting a day at the stealers.
Until Triumph identifies the problem and admits that it can be permanently fixed under warranty, it will remain a endearing quirk of my Rocket, that I can deal with myself. Not something I'm going to loose sleep or riding time over.
Yes. It shouldn't be an issue on a brand new bike in 2023, but it is. It's a shame but hey, you ride the World's largest capacity production bike. 😃

The last time I had it done the dealer stated the process took a few hours as they had to bleed it slowly or something like that. It seems to me if they failed on the bleed twice the 3rd time should be on them because they failed at it 2 times before. We will see but thanks for the info guys.:thumbsup:

@Bosco15 , @Mighty Mouse , @Rockatansky

Seems by now we should be able to figure out the cause of this.

Do you guys have Hill Assist enabled?

Other thoughts have included heat, either of the ABS near the motor (but why just the rear affected?) or the fact that the rear brake line runs just above the exhaust box. If this, then those with Werkes exhaust would not have this issue. Is that true?

Why, in Germany, are they changing out the "tubes" (brake lines) as a solution? Same lines or different than originals? Are they changing both front and back?

Seems I heard somewhere (this thread?) that it happens after long periods of non use. True in all cases? If so, why?

Why is this just affecting some bikes and not others? Let's nail it down.

On my Roadster, when bleeding the brakes, I attach a clear piece of hose to the bleeder and direct it away from the bike. The last thing you want is brake fluid on your paint.... It is a known paint remover and works quite well I might add. I've bled my brakes multiple times over the years and you will notice a firmer pedal and renewed brake feel almost every time you do it. Make sure you use the correct fluid. They are not all compatible.

After bleeding I test ride trying to activate the ABS system (hammer the brakes multiple times). This will cycle your brake fluid in the ABS system (which is hard to bleed without activating). I then re-bleed the system and it's surprising the number of times I find air. I think the Android version of Tune ECU will allow you to activate the ABS for bleeding purposes but someone will have to confirm since I don't have it.

OK, this is interesting.... If you look on Hermy's Triumph Parts there are a few parts in the diagram that are not listed for purchase. Why?

#12 - just a bolt, weird

#23 - what the hell is that?

#34 - is a short brake line. Rear master to ABS, maybe? Issue here? Why not for sale?

100104399-1-2.jpg

The newer gen Rocket will be redesigned after all these rear brake failures. Count on it, this is a disgrace on a premium motorcycle. Home bleeding is only partially effective. I've spent the first year of ownership getting mine fixed after multiple failures. It's a miracle no one has been killed or seriously injured yet due to the rear brake. Solid proof that Rocket 3 riders are more experienced overall.

Back