newbie,,,with cat converter questions

Might I suggest reading "Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" by Philip H. Smith. This book will explain the purpose of the "Box" right after the header "Log pipe" exits. The "Box" provides no back pressure. You will waste your time replacing it.

Will it be louder with just a crossover pipe instead of the box?

The Standard/Classic models had a cat box in the crossover area that you are referring to.

The Touring model does not. The cats on the Touring model are located in each of the single exhaust pipes on either side. If you have D&D slip-ons for the Touring model, then the cats have already been eliminated.

Your description here and on the other thread is a big confusing as to whether you have a Standard/Classic or a Touring model. If you have factory hard bags and a single headlight, then it's a Touring. If dual headlights, it's a Standard/Classic.

Dale,

After reading this thread, it is still unclear what bike you have. You never answered the above question. Do you have a single headlight with hard bags? If so, you have an R3T. This bike looks similar to a Harley and has the cats built into the mufflers.

There was a touring "classic" model with twin headlights and leather bags. (I am guessing you have this bike) This bike has a cat box between the mufflers under the bike as you have described. If you have this version of the touring model, You can get a cat box eliminator. Triumph produced and sold them. I have owned both versions of bikes and have eliminated the cats on both.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention, you replace the catbox with a cat eliminator, and you WILL gain more power. The bike will also be much louder. :D

Back