newbie,,,with cat converter questions

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
I posted this question on another forum in this site, but I think I should have come here first.
I have a 2008 R3 touring and would like to eliminate the catalytic converter which is located in the crossover pipe just behind the head pipe. My R3 already has the D&D mufflers, but I checked with D&D and they do not market a cat eliminator for the touring model. Have heard rumors that Triumph markets a TORS (off-road system) but do not know if its for the touring model. I have also heard that not all R3 touring came with a catalytic converter. My touring is a "california" emissions unit and even has the EVAP system on it (actually had, because I've since eliminated it). Possibly Canadian or other export units may not have had all the emissions garbage installed.

I have not been able to locate anyone thus far that makes a cat eliminator pipe for my Touring R3 and I'm on the verge of making one myself, although that won't be till this winter when the bike is off the road. One of the reasons I want the cat eliminated is the heat produced by it......it is REALLY hot particularly in traffic at a stop. Once that 550 degrees F is no longer next to my right calf it will be much better I'm sure.
Thanks in advance for your help. Dale

That box is empty. You have already eliminated the cats with the installation of the D&D's. The cats in the R3T are in the stock muffler housings.

The Standard/Classic models had a cat box in the crossover area that you are referring to.

The Touring model does not. The cats on the Touring model are located in each of the single exhaust pipes on either side. If you have D&D slip-ons for the Touring model, then the cats have already been eliminated.

Your description here and on the other thread is a big confusing as to whether you have a Standard/Classic or a Touring model. If you have factory hard bags and a single headlight, then it's a Touring. If dual headlights, it's a Standard/Classic.

Yes, it's touring, single headlite, hard bags

The Standard/Classic models had a cat box in the crossover area that you are referring to.

The Touring model does not. The cats on the Touring model are located in each of the single exhaust pipes on either side. If you have D&D slip-ons for the Touring model, then the cats have already been eliminated.

Your description here and on the other thread is a big confusing as to whether you have a Standard/Classic or a Touring model. If you have factory hard bags and a single headlight, then it's a Touring. If dual headlights, it's a Standard/Classic.

As I stated on the other forum, it does have a cat and it IS in the crossover. Neither my OE pipes or the D&D's have converters in them.......you can look straight through. So what is mine some kind of morphodite? Everything on the bike is stock except for the D&D slip-ons and the former owner gave me all receipts and the orig mufflers.

Ok, clear on the Touring.

In looking at the schematics on Bike Bandit, the part you are calling a cat is shown as EXHAUST LINK PIPE ASSY and goes for about $181.

The small box contains baffling similar to that found on the psuedo cat boxes found on 2006 and earlier Standards/Classics. No cat material inside. Just a baffle box if you will. That would explain the heating that you are measuring.

OK, got it

So from what I gather, my used bike had TOR muffs on it or someone punched the cat out of the OE muffs? If that's the case, I'll have to ask him why he even bothered putting the D&D's on. I slipped the OE's back on and couldn't hear (or feel) any difference at all.
I wonder how restrictive that crossover/cat/baffle (or whatever it is) really is.

So from what I gather, my used bike had TOR muffs on it or someone punched the cat out of the OE muffs? If that's the case, I'll have to ask him why he even bothered putting the D&D's on. I slipped the OE's back on and couldn't hear (or feel) any difference at all.
I wonder how restrictive that crossover/cat/baffle (or whatever it is) really is.

That is a very likely scenario. Many dealers sold the bikes with the TORs already installed. If you looks at one of the OE muff, see if you can find lettering stamped on it somewhere that says something to the effect of "Off Road Use Only." If you find it then they are definitely TORs.

you were right on the money!

After thoroughly cleaning both original muffs, I found part the remains of one of the labels that ended with "not for road use". So as far as the original owner can tell me they were on the bike when he bought it new in 2008.
I still would like to replace the crossover with something a little more free-flowing. I guess I'll have to concoct something myself this winter.
Thanks for the help!

So many different answers????

That box is empty. You have already eliminated the cats with the installation of the D&D's. The cats in the R3T are in the stock muffler housings.

Yes, you and several others were on the money. The fact that the original muffs had no cat in them threw me off (turns out they WERE TORS muffs and the orig owner still put the D&D's on). Several individuals (not on this forum) told me that the cat was in the crossover, which is easy to believe if the stock cats are no-where else to be found. I guess there must be 3-4 different variations of exhaust within the R3 model line. I still would like to find/make a crossover that is more free-flowing though, if only to get rid of some of the heat more quickly.
Thanks again, Dale

As I stated on the other forum, it does have a cat and it IS in the crossover. Neither my OE pipes or the D&D's have converters in them.......you can look straight through. So what is mine some kind of morphodite? Everything on the bike is stock except for the D&D slip-ons and the former owner gave me all receipts and the orig mufflers.

My 2011, built for California, R3T had the CATs in the mufflers. The box is empty. The "box" you refer to is a design feature to help stop reversion back into the log manifold, due to the short header pipes. Especially the rear pipe. If the bike came with an equal length header with a collector, the box would not be required.

I would imagine the box also helps equal out the exhaust flow to both sides so, unlike a Harley, most of the exhaust does not go out the muffler closest to the header pipe exit.

Might I suggest reading "Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" by Philip H. Smith. This book will explain the purpose of the "Box" right after the header "Log pipe" exits. The "Box" provides no back pressure. You will waste your time replacing it.

Back