thejim

Standard Bore
Ride
Non-owner, but I love to ride anything.
Hi, all!
I grew up with a couple Triumph's in our living room and a row of gas tanks on top of our kitchen cabinets. My father, a regular mechanic, was obsessed. He'd buy these bikes in buckets, and while waiting on parts, he'd complete the gas tank. Those gas tanks were his motivation throughout each project. Bonneville's, Daytona's, and one old blacked-out Trophy which was always my favorite.
I always rode dirt bikes, and I've ridden just a little on the road. I have a crazy idea, but I want a Rocket III for my first real motorcycle.
The biggest bike I've ridden is a Honda VTX 1300, and I absolutely loved it. I almost didn't return it (it's my brother's bike).
Some people would try to talk me out of buying an R3, but this is an R3 forum so I'm hoping not to encounter that problem here (fingers crossed!).
One thing is for sure - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! This is why many Triumph's are hard for me to know the year model - because they basically stay the same! While I see the obvious difference in the most recent models, it's hard for me to see a difference between a 2005 and a 2015, for example. I think ABS is a must-have, so I suppose I'm looking to buy a 2009 or newer. Please enlighten me on other important considerations. I don't care whether it's a Touring model or a Roadster - I'm just looking for a great deal. I've heard that some have vibration issues in the mirrors and some don't. I would definitely want to avoid that altogether.
If you force me to choose, I would choose to start with a Roadster. However, it would end up looking like a Touring model by the time I finished dressing it.
I've never been active in an online forum, so I might not speak your language yet but I'm eager to learn! Teach me!

Welcome Jim from exotic Idaho. What is your city/state ?

Many good deals are out there on used 2010/2018 Roadsters. Look for one that has been customized and accessorized as these items don't add too much to the resale costs.

Used Rockets are not expensive and good deals are out there. I’d recommend getting a newer model and don’t be afraid of modifications that have known quality parts installed. I bought a 2014 Roadster with TORS pipes and only 5000 miles for $10k.

Since then however I’ve added enough stuff to nearly equal the original purchase price but it is a monster now.;)

Welcome thejim from theotherjim!

In general Rocket III's;
Good = 2004-Q12007 - Original base model, Approximately 11% had/have Torsion Assy bearing(s) on backwards $$$, 10% had/have weak detent spring/bolt causing shifting woes $, bad TPS's and a few other common issues. Not to scare folks away as many that had the issues were already fixed. Tip = get a good price and keep some coins in the repair fund jar just in case.
Better = Q22007 - 2009 - Same base model with engine component and wiring enhancements.
Best = 2010-2018 - Roadster model with additional engine component and wiring enhancements improvements, riding position altered, ABS added, better seat.
And some might say latest Rocket 3's;
Bester = 2020 R and GT - Complete redesign, 2500cc,
Bestest = 2019 TFC (delivered in 2020) - 2500cc with carbon fiber bits, Arrow muffler, better fit&finish plus a few other details. About 4HP more than the R&GT I've been told.

More details on the 04-18 RIII variations: Triumph Rocket III - Wikipedia
2020 : Triumph Rocket 3 - Wikipedia

hello thejim. welcome to the rocket family

Back