Lee's Rocket GT/R

Standard Bore
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT/R
Hey everybody. Hope y'all are doing well. My name's Lee, and my home is in Arizona. After 54 years of working, I just recently retired. I'm a nationally certified crane operator, and a metal fabricator; all blue collar stuff. Dirty blue collar stuff.
My retirement gift to myself is... a brand new 2021 Rocket 3 GT. Just a little more than 200 miles on it, and I'm having some trouble already. It wont start. Now I'm a pretty fair mechanic, even with electrical issues, but I've got to be careful with my digging into the systems as I don't want to void the warranty.
Battery is reading 12.7 volts. With clutch pulled, kickstand up, and trans in neutral, I hit the ignition switch (top of rocker), immediately I hear a solenoid click, and the fuel pump comes on. Then I push the Start position (bottom of rocker), and the engine should start... only it doesn't, except for when its cold. Then it will.
I checked voltage going to the starter when the Start switch is pushed; nothing. Checked fuses, even though I knew that was not the problem. Consulted a schematic online and saw that there's a primary solenoid separate from the starter proper. not sure where that solenoid resides on the bike, and again, I'm leery of messing with the warranty. Also, the start signal goes through the computer, and on that note, I'm out of my pay grade.
I'll have the bike back at the dealer where I bought it next week, for other issues, but then I miss a week of Arizona riding weather, and I miss out on learning something about the bike.
If one of you guys have an idea what the problem might be, id sure appreciate a return note. Either way, thanks for reading,

It is pretty common that when you clean the bike there is a clutch switch that gets caught in the rags and bends the little tab.
Take a look and maybe wiggle the switch while hitting the button.
Hth
Where in az ru?

Another WELCOME! to our R3 Family from Tucson... I can't help with your issue, but hopefully you can get it sorted out soon (at least she's under warranty)... so you can get out there and enjoy your new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

Welcome from the UK.
Sorry I can't help you with that problem. Wondering if this can happen when the battery in the fob is low on power????

A common issue is corrosion that builds between the battery connections. Clean down to bare metal, use lots of dielectric grease, and tighten the snot out of the terminals. It causes all kind of issues.

Do these have a key fob? I thought I read somewhere that the fob sometimes doesn't get read by the ECU.

Hey everybody. Hope y'all are doing well. My name's Lee, and my home is in Arizona. After 54 years of working, I just recently retired. I'm a nationally certified crane operator, and a metal fabricator; all blue collar stuff. Dirty blue collar stuff.
My retirement gift to myself is... a brand new 2021 Rocket 3 GT. Just a little more than 200 miles on it, and I'm having some trouble already. It wont start. Now I'm a pretty fair mechanic, even with electrical issues, but I've got to be careful with my digging into the systems as I don't want to void the warranty.
Battery is reading 12.7 volts. With clutch pulled, kickstand up, and trans in neutral, I hit the ignition switch (top of rocker), immediately I hear a solenoid click, and the fuel pump comes on. Then I push the Start position (bottom of rocker), and the engine should start... only it doesn't, except for when its cold. Then it will.
I checked voltage going to the starter when the Start switch is pushed; nothing. Checked fuses, even though I knew that was not the problem. Consulted a schematic online and saw that there's a primary solenoid separate from the starter proper. not sure where that solenoid resides on the bike, and again, I'm leery of messing with the warranty. Also, the start signal goes through the computer, and on that note, I'm out of my pay grade.
I'll have the bike back at the dealer where I bought it next week, for other issues, but then I miss a week of Arizona riding weather, and I miss out on learning something about the bike.
If one of you guys have an idea what the problem might be, id sure appreciate a return note. Either way, thanks for reading,
Congratulations on your retirement and the new Rocket! Hopefully, this starting issue is the only teething you'll have. Please keep us informed on what the dealer thinks.

Back