You all are lucky------ My father bought a brand new triumph Rocket III in 2012 and the engine blew before he got 1000 miles on it.
He was riding along with about 1000 miles on his bike , still being aware of break in procedures and not pushing it at all when he got an oil bath.
Oil began blowing out from the right side of the engine at a rate that covered the bike as well as my Dad completely in less than a few
seconds. My Dad pulled over to the side of the road , removed all the oil he could from himself , telephoned my Mom to come get him and
telephoned the Triumph Dealer here in Reno , NV. telling them to come get this POS ! Needless to say he was a bit more than merely upset!
The Dealership, then , was owned by an extremely reputable set of brothers both of which were extremely apologetic and did everything
necessary to recover the bike and diagnose the problem. They got Triumph in on the problem and together they decided to buy the R3 back
from my Dad. To this day my Dad thinks that I am a bit goofy for owning a 2020 Rocket III GT.
Mechanical things , as we all know , are seldom if ever perfect. So far my Rocket GT has been as the name implies " a real rocket" and has performed impeccably.
No problems whatsoever , thank goodness, because the dealership owner here now wants to schedule three months ahead to simply change the oil. I have to go all the way to California for service if I want to get any service in a reasonable length of time. It seems as though the U.S. has become a real believer in "CAVEAT EMPTOR". What ever happened to "CUSTOMER SERVICE and CUSTOMER GOOD WILL" ? These items are becoming quite a rarity in society these days. A handshake in todays business environment has become an antiquity which carries little or no true meaning. Well -------that's the way I see it even though I am still in school and not really out in the business community,,,,,yet.

necessary

bought a used rocket 3 get here in Thailand almost a year ago.unfortunately for me,it turned out to have the infamous oil leak.in my
next post,I will upload some horrendous pics. not a pretty sight.
Yeah my 2008 Rocket3 classic develop the leak at about 35,000 miles. The mechanic said something about venting oil through this breather tube says it happens every once in a while and will require the motor pulled in the head removed so I keep riding it. Checking my oil. And taking her to the car wash every once in a while to keep her clean.

You all are lucky------ My father bought a brand new triumph Rocket III in 2012 and the engine blew before he got 1000 miles on it.
He was riding along with about 1000 miles on his bike , still being aware of break in procedures and not pushing it at all when he got an oil bath.
Oil began blowing out from the right side of the engine at a rate that covered the bike as well as my Dad completely in less than a few
seconds. My Dad pulled over to the side of the road , removed all the oil he could from himself , telephoned my Mom to come get him and
telephoned the Triumph Dealer here in Reno , NV. telling them to come get this POS ! Needless to say he was a bit more than merely upset!
The Dealership, then , was owned by an extremely reputable set of brothers both of which were extremely apologetic and did everything
necessary to recover the bike and diagnose the problem. They got Triumph in on the problem and together they decided to buy the R3 back
from my Dad. To this day my Dad thinks that I am a bit goofy for owning a 2020 Rocket III GT.
Mechanical things , as we all know , are seldom if ever perfect. So far my Rocket GT has been as the name implies " a real rocket" and has performed impeccably.
No problems whatsoever , thank goodness, because the dealership owner here now wants to schedule three months ahead to simply change the oil. I have to go all the way to California for service if I want to get any service in a reasonable length of time. It seems as though the U.S. has become a real believer in "CAVEAT EMPTOR". What ever happened to "CUSTOMER SERVICE and CUSTOMER GOOD WILL" ? These items are becoming quite a rarity in society these days. A handshake in todays business environment has become an antiquity which carries little or no true meaning. Well -------that's the way I see it even though I am still in school and not really out in the business community,,,,,yet.

necessary
Well, welcome to the group. I’ve owned to Rocket3‘s now my 2006 died in a crash. Fortunately I didn’t my 2008 is still running strong and I love it so welcome from Southern California and every once in a while I get up to Sparks to visit a good friend of mine, my wife and I love it up there but I can understand your service problems. Good luck to you and many miles.

I overtorqued the bolt a bit and that fixed the problem. For some others it hasn’t.
Could someone please post a pic or diagram of exactly where this offending bolt is located?
What is it for ? If it's copper washered, it's sealing an oil gallery, right? Is it a drain bolt or just a fixing holding a housing?
Cheers.

Could someone please post a pic or diagram of exactly where this offending bolt is located?
What is it for ? If it's copper washered, it's sealing an oil gallery, right? Is it a drain bolt or just a fixing holding a housing?
Cheers.

Does anyone know if some model years are more affected by these issues than other years? I’m looking at a used 22R with 1000miles. It would be almost outside of the warranty window at the time of this post.

Sounds like there are two issues: copper washer and porous casting.

Back