Motorcycle airbag jacket

under a jacket? 😱 so how does that work when it inflates ? My leather (well fitting) jacket would not really allow for much expansion....

under a jacket? 😱 so how does that work when it inflates ? My leather (well fitting) jacket would not really allow for much expansion....
Nothing new and specific to most electronic airbag jackets such as the vests including the In&Motion technology (IXON, HELD, FURYGAN, KLIM, RST and now TUCANO), the Dainese SmartJacket or the Dainese airbag integrated in their specific jackets (or suits), the Alpinestar TechAir5 and the Alpinestar airbag integrated in their specific jackets (or suits).

The instruction is to leave a space of usually around +/- 5 cm between the jacket and the airbag vest (ref. their manual). So it is essential to try it first before buying it.
(In&Motion reports to keep the same and usual size for both the usual jacket and the airbag vest).

Last edited:
I've got a Hit-Air jacket. Been wearing it for about 5 years now. It was a compromise I made with my wife when our first kid was born and I don't regret it. As a mesh jacket it's no different than what I was wearing before, pretty comfy and not too ugly (I didn't get a high-vis color) and so far I haven't accidentally deployed it. I have stood up without unhooking it on many occasions but it takes a pretty healthy tug and I've managed to catch myself before I get too far. I have also been successful thus far at watching for any of my "buddies" who might wanna set it off at a gas stop.

I opted for a tethered model for a lot of reasons, but mostly that 5 years ago the electronic versions were really expensive and had even more drawbacks than they do now. Most of the electronic ones I looked at back then were really only for the track, full leather suits by Alpinstars and such. In another year or two I'll probably look for another jacket as this one is getting a bit worn and grungy, and I hope that I never have to rely on the next one either...

I believe I'll wait also for a couple of years before deciding to replace mine. I guess that within 1-2 years, there should be more and better models especially when the future CE standard specific to airbags for riders will be availalbe (expected by 2022, ref. should be 1621-5).

I'd like to know which brand is more successful (and hopefully offering the best protection) :
- Dainese given their R&D capacity and years of experience in airbags ?
- In&Motion given the number of famous motorcycles suits makers who have selected In&Motion for their electronic airbag jackets : IXON, HELD, FURYGAN, KLIM, RST and now TUCANO ?
- Helite for their WW recognized tethered airbag vests (I've read that they are the leaders for tethered ones) which could lead their current customers to move to the electronic e-Turtle model and given that it is the only one, I believe, which comes, as an option, with a fork sensor allowing faster and better reactivity (whether the motorcycle is stopped, moving below or above 10 miles/hour ?
(most crash analysis over here conclude that an airbag vest is efficient up to 40 miles per hour or so and that the majority of serious accidents occurs with a crash against a car thus the fork sensor would play a major role).

Last edited:
Back