Motor Serial Numbers On Newer (09 and up) Rockets

Ok I am home now and you we are both right I looked at my two 06 motors and the case from my parted out 07 and they do have 7 numbers in the serial number. I also looked at the update kit instructions and it say from for motorcycles built before VIN 337294 so just ignore the first digit of the engine serial number and you will be fine. If it worked the update kit (not Upgrade kit) is attached. we shall see if the file is to large or not.

Attachments

• Rocket Update Kit.pdf
    749.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, Warp. I still don't trust the whole deal. The two 09 biles are in the 333 and 336 range, making them well before the 337 cut-off.

My guess without looking at the VIN sticker is they were built in 08 some where from mid year 08 on. I would look at it and check the build date.

Yes, I know. The 2 I'm looking at are 3333776 and 3336622....both 2009 bikes.

Below the VIN number on the left side front frame tube is the build dates you should see what they are. The instructions specifically state VIN number not engine number although I am not against what Paul Said as my engine number which is a 06 and had the updates done by Triumph is 3260042 and the VIN number is none of the engine numbers in it. in fact the 07 case I have which I took apart and it had the old second gear and old out put bearings had a 329XXX number on it.

Like I have said before there are plenty older bikes still running like a champ with no updates and some like Paul's had it done a couple times which proves its all about the quality of the build. You have to build quality into a product you cannot inspect it into it.
I also heard triumph pulled an bunch back before selling them and fixed them. This could have been done many ways but in the interest of fast turn around I would already have some engines on the shelf done and as the bikes came back in the plant I would be pulling and stuffing completed engines in them whislt the pulled ones are sent back to be updated this would mix up engine serial numbers but then they do not match the bike frames VIN Number anyway. The only real way to be sure of at least part of the update kit has been done on a bike without having to remove the engine is to a have someone that knows the lash difference between the two style of second gear rock the bike and check it for you and second would be todrop the sump and scope the rear output bearing to see if its a sealed unit. Of course if its got a good amount of miles on it you might be able to tell as soon as you drop the sump without using a scope but the scope would work for sure.

Personally for the right price I would not hesitate to buy a 09 especially a Classic model. But I would not shy away from a standard model either. The dealer should be able to run the vin with Triumph and see if it had any warranty work done to it at all.
How doe sit shift when you ride it.
I am dead I will check this post in the A.M.

The VIN on one is SMTC00L459T367162

@Biebs it seems pretty obvious that you're worrying about engine numbers when it's the VIN that is relevant. The bike you refer to here with engine 336622 (dropping the 1st digit) is a 2009MY Phantom Black that was first warranty registered on 19 Sept 2010. It's the last 6 numbers of the VIN that are relevant - they are clearly outside the upgrade range.

Back