Metric Conversions

i grew up within the changeover from her majesty's imperial to ze metric system, so am a complete mixed bag.
i can't relate to speed in kph though, or kW in engine power for that matter. it's all mph and bhp.
taking measurements, always in mm as it just seems so much easier and accurate. unless i'm describing something to someone, then it's back to feet and inches coz they're easier to imagine than cm and m for some reason..
Exactly! I understand that doing math in metric is easier it's jus when I think of something it's in inches or worse fractions. When I look at a bolt or nut I'm like cool that's a half inch. **** where the hell is it. No biggie. The 13mm will work. I'm hoping all the bolts on the R3 are metric. Harley likes to mix and match and I am thrilled not to have found any star fasteners yet.

I'll ask you a simple question @BigNorm , can you count money? If you can, then you can do metric. Everything is divisible by 10. When I taught men/women how to shoot grade in parking lot and highways, 1% grade equals 1 cent (centimeter) per meter (1 dollar),when grading downhill,you pay 1 cent.per dollar, on your grade rod,when you grade uphill, you take 1 cent per dollar. 2%,2 cents so on and so forth. That being said,we still mark with paint on the ground for our operator's in imperial,+1" or -1" and so on,but we know that 25mm,roughly equals 1",50 mm equals 2", it's just WAY EASIER to use metric in civil applications.

I work in bridge and roadway construction. For design and survey layout every thing is in decimal imperial units. But all imbeds lights, signs, conduit, etc. are fractional imperial units. I use a double sided tape so I don't have to do math in head, I learned not to loan it out. When the US experimented with going metric we built several projects in metric so when working on one now the as-builds are metric but new work is imperial.

And I forgot,if you measure your junk in millimeters it sounds huge,and weigh yourself in kilograms,you sound light:thumbsup:

That's why women are bad at depth perception; because we keep telling them that this is 9 inches:
4----5-8

Exactly! I understand that doing math in metric is easier it's jus when I think of something it's in inches or worse fractions. When I look at a bolt or nut I'm like cool that's a half inch. **** where the hell is it. No biggie. The 13mm will work. I'm hoping all the bolts on the R3 are metric. Harley likes to mix and match and I am thrilled not to have found any star fasteners yet.

my rocket started life in metric despite being built in england where they have miles instead of km. my speedo is in mph thank god, as are all my vehicles.
i brought all my vehicles in from the uk you see.
except my old supra, that was a j a p import so was in km. and i could never tell how fast i was REALLY going lol. it was like monopoly money, not real money haha

however now my rocket is half imperial with the amount of USA-imported bits i've stuck onto it. performance and customisation parts are not so available here as they are in the US.

i had great fun there recently with what i thought was a 1/8" NPT female, but the 1/8" NPT male sensor wouldnt go in. turns out it was in fact a 1/8" BSP female, so i had to get an adapter to go from 1/8" NPT female to 1/8" BSP male. 28 tpi vs 27tpi, only a little off. diameter slightly different too.
and since they're pipe threads they are tapered as well just to add to it. some hardship!

My wife's Harley seems to be mixed. Needed metric wrenches to do her saddle bags and lights, imperial to change her battery and exhaust. Makes packing a small toolbag impossible.:banghead:

i would tell u what it is like being a transmission mechanic but it would take me a week.
some one will try to make a metric week and a metric month if we are not careful.
lets see a month equals 10 metric weeks and a year will equal 10 metric months. so a year would be 100 weeks. that looks like it would work we just have to change the seasons to metric.

Back