Merry Christmas from Oz

Something for @CanberraR3 for Christmas. Six new Valiant's back in the day you probably could have had them all for 10 grand.
image.jpg

Pure horn! Haha. Probably cost less than 10 grand - AP6s. I recall the Charger was $2790 when it first appeared about 6 or 7 years later.

Something for @CanberraR3 for Christmas. Six new Valiant's back in the day you probably could have had them all for 10 grand.
image.jpg
image.jpg

No wonder they use to tear the fifth wheel hitch of prime movers with those old single axel trailers ,look at the over hang behind the trailer axel, lucky he was only grossing about 12 ton ,never towed a single axel combination or had a single drive prime mover ,but they would have been easy to push around in reverse no scrubbing of the tyres, but they did it tough in those old cab over trucks with no creature comfits.

No wonder they use to tear the fifth wheel hitch of prime movers with those old single axel trailers ,look at the over hang behind the trailer axel, lucky he was only grossing about 12 ton ,never towed a single axel combination or had a single drive prime mover ,but they would have been easy to push around in reverse no scrubbing of the tyres, but they did it tough in those old cab over trucks with no creature comfits.
My dad was on of them was on top of the world in 1967 when he got a new W model Kenworth with a 250 cummins a big step up from a single drive 84 Inter with a 160 cummins. I remember he had a canvas stretcher attached to the back of the cab behind the seats in the Kenworth with a bit of dowel sewn in the other side that he would put on a hook on each side windscreen pillar. Then crawl up in it in a sleeping bag. The only way possible to live in the Kenworth with its narrow cab and 2 single seats. No thought of sleeper cabs in them days. When we lived in Grafton in 1965, 6, 7, and 8 dad would leave home around midnight Sunday night and return home sometime Saturday arvo. Be all over NSW and Southern QLD delivering power poles to the peg for all the western towns to get electricity.

I can imagine a new W KW in 1967was a big deal, a lot of the W models had Detroit 671s in them and some Caterpillar diesels as well ,the door handles were about 6 feet of the ground ,like a lot of truck cabs around that era the cabs were tiny, B61 Mack cabs were like an FJ Holden ute cab (almost ) you could wind the passengers window down from the drivers seat ,the long bonneted KWs and Macks made you drive well back from behind cars , you lost sight of pedestrians on a crossing if you stopped too close, but that's what they made air horns for ,:sneaky:

The first W model my dad drove was one of the last shipment of fully imported Kenworths to come into Australia. He still has one of the Made in Seattle badges off the bonnet. His mate Jim Hurley (Brown and Hurley) said it's the only Seattle badge he knows of. Dad also has the chassis plan. Back in those days you got a custom built truck right down to brand off tyres and battery's you wanted. Your right about the door handles in the top of the doors and your left hand about 4 inches from the centre of the cab.

@Scuba Craig Nice picture and great way to make the best of a tough situation. And I must say that Santa belt is nice. Now if you can get a picture of a girl in the same position as yourself wearing just that belt, Christmas will be a tad bit better...

Back