I've eaten squillions of them as a kid in weird middle eastern countries in the 70's. Cornflakes bought from the US embassy commissary store opened in a pitiful gesture of solidarity to fellow western sufferers of sh!t holes. The tell tale sign of an impending protein shake with wriggly bits was the fine spider web left by all the lucky grubs that had already pupated and grown to adulthood to feast on cornflakes and breed another generation or two hundred before the 'sealed for freshness' waxed paper bag was finally rent asunder as their universe collapsed.

They unlucky ones became the floating black victims of the revolting sterilised bottled milk that drowned them in its gray non-dairyness as they tried to row to the bowl's edge with their teensy six oars. The lucky ones had already died of old age and had lost most of their legs, heads, and carapaces to become a dusty black pepper garnish that floated on top without really getting wet. The poor wee lambs were found at the bottom of the finished bowl all squidgy and occasionally if you had downed the bowl quickly, to put it past you as fast as possible, they may still have a pitiful wiggle or two left before being mashed and blended in the dregs for that last nutritious dollop.

Later I wistfully learnt to look at the unsealed boxes prior to opening to find one without the tiny little bored holes that weevils make when colonising a new world. Trouble was I never found one.;):D

Not forgetting mouldy apples that are fermenting, and grog.
Ahh , serving up the grog .
20170921_151619.jpg

Back