Kick stand question

Notice in Paddys photos that the threads only go part way down the holes.
This where I tapped them right down so as to give me "something" to locate the side stand whilst I built up the support for it all.
20200118_112828.jpg

Mike this is a storm in a tea cup, there's some one on face book making a scene out of this for absolutely no reason. (Paranoia)
This is the third time you have heard of this ? out of how many Rockets made ? 30,000 ? (A guess)
I wouldn't call this a weak design when as you have read here, no one has heard of this happening, bar Paddy O some time ago.
There was one Guy in the U.K. (I think) that kept his bike outside and in severe cold the metal became brittle and the cases let go, what we don't know of coarse is how was the bike parked ? Was it leant over at an extreme angle with a lot of weight on the side stand ? Who knows.

As I said at the beginning "I had a small get off" meaning that I biffed the bike on a corner and slid down the road on the L/H side ripping the entire stand off the Engine.
I repaired this back to a usable standard with out stripping the Engine, and with out any welding of the cases.
Again, as I said earlier, that was back in 2014 with no further problems.

20200118_112520.jpg

20200118_112540.jpg

20200118_112604.jpg

20200118_112751A.jpg
Thanks for the information. Of course you are correct, out of the thousands of bikes out there it is a very small number that have had problems of breaking the engine casing at the stand fixing. . It is no doubt not in double figures, probably around 6 cases. You did a really good job of repairing it. I only asked the question as i have never heard of a kick stand ripping off of any motorcycle unless the bolts were loose or dropped out. When i read about this and thought about the strength of aluminium castings it just looks like a weak point. Obviously Triumph have worked it out and it is adequate for the job unless impacted in some way.

if u think about this
if u put straps on the front with kickstand down and then start cranking them down it is possible to bring the back off the ground put almost the whole weight of bike on that stand then u start sucking the back down. a screw up waiting to happen. :banghead:

if u think about this
if u put straps on the front with kickstand down and then start cranking them down it is possible to bring the back off the ground put almost the whole weight of bike on that stand then u start sucking the back down. a screw up waiting to happen. :banghead:
When i was on a cross channel ferry a few years ago with my Road King they put a strap across the saddle so tight i do'nt know how that survived! They were doing it on all the bikes on the deck.

Thank you @Joesmoe for referencing my post when my kickstand came off in the move. Thank you @Paul Bryant for your pictures and saying what you to fix your bike which led to our solution. I agree, shipping a 900 pound motorcycle on its kickstand is foolish. Definitely won't let someone make that decision for me again. It has been seven months, and the bike is doing fine. No problems with the kickstand at all.

DO NOT DO THIS ON A ROCKET (DO NOT LET YOUR HAIR GET OUT OF CONTROL LIKE HIS EITHER!)!!!

This has become a 'thing' in my area and I see a lot of ****** Rocket Power Ranger types doing it for no logical reason as they could have driven in/out of the spot they felt a need to spin it around. Cool I guess??

DO NOT DO THIS ON A ROCKET (DO NOT LET YOUR HAIR GET OUT OF CONTROL LIKE HIS EITHER!)!!!

This has become a 'thing' in my area and I see a lot of ****** Rocket Power Ranger types doing it for no logical reason as they could have driven in/out of the spot they felt a need to spin it around. Cool I guess??

HA ! I'd like to see someone try that with a rocket :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back