britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
I have rode to work the past two days. Temps in good "Old Virginny" are tagging right around 100 degrees. I haven't seen many other bikes going or coming, I think allot have converted to the ac equipped cages. I will have to say the Rocket is probably the heat producing motorcycle I have ever sat in extremely hot weather. Please don't get me wrong, I love the machine and know the problem is that big friggin motor between your legs, the heart of the beast. I can't imagine what a Boss Hog must put out in this kind of weather. I still have no idea how the sport bikers and BMW riders can stand leather, padded jackets and gloves when it gets like this. Yes I know the joy of road rash, but it has been a long long time ago. In my old humble opinion safety and comfort have to find common ground when the temps and humidity get like this.

The heat wave arrived in Virginia early this year, didn't it? I force myself to put on a ventilated leather and gloves, and would never consider anything less than kevlar jeans and boots. But I've been off the R3 for a week and on the BMW... a cooler riding bike. Jolanta refuses to ride in this heat. I find the heat is the worst when parking in some black-topped mega parking lot. :eek:

Thankfully we're leaving for the cool breezes of Deia this weekend... hold down the fort in Virginny, Britman. :cool:

I know what you mean, George. I've ridden over to Hughesville, MD the past 2 days and just about melted riding back each day. The Roc is a furnace for sure, but I have to say that it pales in comparison to my old '83 Yamaha Venture. The body panels had cutouts on each side right where your thighs were. All the heat from the engine and the radiator was funnelled back and out these cutouts right onto your thighs. There were days where my legs were literally burned through my jeans.:eek:

.............and here I am, out in the fields, slaving away on a tractor in all this heat and humidity (with the climate control set at 70, a nice CD in the changer and the air seat set on soft and a cold one stuck in the cooler.

All for the sake of agriculture.

A Solution

Flip...... Sounds like you're working way too much and way too hard. Maybe you could get your farm put under the "Federal Land Bank" and they'll just pay you not to farm! Is that program still active?

P.S. Shame on you if you don't have GPS hooked up so you'll get those pretty straight lines every time!

Hot rocket

IF you have a screen & boards, the air-flow pushes hot radiator air up to the rider.. Was WONDERFUL borrowing a mates rocket with said equipment on a cold day..
Mine is a naked one with pegs.. chuffing freezing in winter, but great in even 42C heat compared to the fairings.:cool:

Just keep her moving boys and girls. A spray bottle works wonders too. I got a wet vest but haven't used it yet. That spine protector on my mesh jacket is what bugs me.:cool:

We just broke the record for June here in NC with 4 straight 100+ days. I didn't ride monday and Tues., but it was because of other reasons, not the heat. Am riding today. Only going to be in the low 90s.
Speaking of sunscreen, you guys be sure to use it, I was at the skin doctors yesterday getting some more meat cut off for pre-cancer spots. :mad:

Back