We finished up at midnight last night in Denton, TX

20160814_004927.jpg

So this took care of the border to border, 2000 miles in less than 48 hours and 3000 miles in less than 72 hours
That ultra is 2014 or newer, the shift fell off? Mine did the same thing and had to ride 100 miles on 4th gear till i found an Orreilies and bought some tools, put it together with red locktite, hope it stays put:eek:

That is our next big ride...the 100cc (coast to coast to coast in less than 100 hrs). Just have to figure out where to leave my gun while we run to the pacific through the Peoples Republic of Californistan
I think you will be ok if you keep the weapon and ammo separate but I believe secured in the luggage would work as well.

That ultra is 2014 or newer, the shift fell off? Mine did the same thing and had to ride 100 miles on 4th gear till i found an Orreilies and bought some tools, put it together with red locktite, hope it stays put:eek:

Apparently there is a service bulletin out on it. There is a bolt that gets loose and causes the shifter to flop around. It has been added to my maintenance list

Dont ask dont tell works pretty good, no one has to know, just ride normal this time and everything will be ok:)
BY the WAY the DNFs for the IRON BUTT only 8 percent for TRIUMPHS and 33 percent for HARLEY so you guys are doing great

Apparently there is a service bulletin out on it. There is a bolt that gets loose and causes the shifter to flop around. It has been added to my maintenance list
Yup, that's what came lose, it is a pain because non of the tools they give you with the bike will fit, , fix it before you are in the middle of nowhere

That is our next big ride...the 100cc (coast to coast to coast in less than 100 hrs). Just have to figure out where to leave my gun while we run to the pacific through the Peoples Republic of Californistan

You can transport a firearm according to federal rules. Firearm has to be in a firearm specific safe with ammo stored in a separate spot which is basically any place not in the safe with the gun. State rules may be more lax, but you are covered in all 50 under these rules, even in the a California.

Just read rules again. Ammo has to be locked in separate box that is not glove box or console.

Last edited:
You can transport a firearm according to federal rules. Firearm has to be in a firearm specific safe with ammo stored in a separate spot which is basically any place not in the safe with the gun. State rules may be more lax, but you are covered in all 50 under these rules, even in the a California.

Just read rules again. Ammo has to be locked in separate box that is not glove box or console.

I can appreciate that, but unloaded guns in locked boxes are of very little use IMHO and not the way I prefer to transport mine. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure that a case could be made by the state that there is no secure storage on a motorcycle, and I'm not sure I have room to transport a safe in my saddlebag. My historical method of dealing with this is just to assume that the US territory ends at Nevada and Arizona :whitstling:

On the Harley shift linkage I made it a habit to make sure that the allen bolt was tight on the linkage behind the primary. It's all bad if that comes loose or falls off back there. you pretty much have to pull the primary to get to it if it falls off.

Back