Install 3 K&N kit question

I moved it to under the left side cover on both bikes.
To my surprise, the Roadster had the emissions canister which usually means it was originally sent to California.
Don't want it and don't need it in NY so adios additional thing to maintain and hello open spot for the overflow reservoir.
Bonus = just swap the short and long rubber hoses and you don't need to spend a dime to relocate it there.
The space is a tad tight but if you put some zip ties on loosely and tilt it a few degrees you can find the sweet spot where the cover will go on. Then tighten the zip ties down.
The downside of course is that you have to remove the cover occasionally to inspect the fluid level.
You can tape up the hoses and the bottles cover if you're worried about radiator fluid somehow getting out and on the relays. I never had any issues...

I like the in-your-face look of a 'clawless' K&N intake - especially the 6" ones with chrome tops.
I got tired of putting it on whenever I wanted to lift the gas tank. It found a new home.
It really makes the bike stand out and I get comments every day.

NOTE: If you take your bike within 1.8288 meters of other bikes you don't trust are Covid-19 free you will need to special order an XXXL Ventilator Mask from Wickes.

Here is my 3M Safety Respirator on my '05:

RIII-Intake Restriction.jpg

Cheers mate.
I will try that. The mask thing threw me for a bit. Until I read your post to the end. Very funny......

The AIT sensor (Air Intake Sensor) measures the air temperature entering the throttle bodies so it needs to be situated as close to the throttle bodies as you can get it so as not to alter the tune. The bulbous end on the AIT sensor is susceptible to damage. I purchased a small filter and fitted it over the end to protect the bulbous bit then cable tied the lead as close to the middle throttle body as i could. Worked for me.

I moved it to under the left side cover on both bikes.
To my surprise, the Roadster had the emissions canister which usually means it was originally sent to California.
Don't want it and don't need it in NY so adios additional thing to maintain and hello open spot for the overflow reservoir.
Bonus = just swap the short and long rubber hoses and you don't need to spend a dime to relocate it there.
The space is a tad tight but if you put some zip ties on loosely and tilt it a few degrees you can find the sweet spot where the cover will go on. Then tighten the zip ties down.
The downside of course is that you have to remove the cover occasionally to inspect the fluid level.
You can tape up the hoses and the bottles cover if you're worried about radiator fluid somehow getting out and on the relays. I never had any issues...

I like the in-your-face look of a 'clawless' K&N intake - especially the 6" ones with chrome tops.
I got tired of putting it on whenever I wanted to lift the gas tank. It found a new home.
It really makes the bike stand out and I get comments every day.

NOTE: If you take your bike within 1.8288 meters of other bikes you don't trust are Covid-19 free you will need to special order an XXXL Ventilator Mask from Wickes.

Here is my 3M Safety Respirator on my '05:

RIII-Intake Restriction.jpg
This where I hung my temperature sensor on both bikes. It's snug but the stock cable will get it into the air stream.

No oil issues with the taller K&N's but then again I have stumpy legs and don't saturate them.

IMG_2440.JPG

Sorry, I am still a little confused as where exactly you mean by under the left side cover. If it's possible for you to take a picture, that would really help. Do you mean the headstock cover?
Cheers Mate.

Last edited:
The side cover is the curved cover on either side of the seat

And here is a picture of my '05 bottle placement.
Note the new Electronic Brake Controller for my new trailer.
I just spent a week getting everything wired up and when I went to put the rear tire back on I noticed a piston on the rear brake caliper was rusted through (always something) - no one stocked them locally...
Just the two pistons alone I needed are $44 and seals are $45 = $90.
Amazingly, I found a complete used caliper AND bracket for $25 with free shipping from Pinwall on Ebay.
That assembly is $622 new.

IMG_4388[1].JPG

I just spent a week getting everything wired up and when I went to put the rear tire back on I noticed a piston on the rear brake caliper was rusted through (always something) - no one stocked them locally...
Amazingly, I found a complete used caliper AND bracket for $25 with free shipping from Pinwall on Ebay.

I see what you did now. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks for the pictures, I see what you have done there now. Thing is I just spent a load of money on Samco hoses. Seems like you will have to run quite a lot of extra hoses to get all the way back there. I think I might just try to hid it behind a cut out bear claw. I bought a fiver glass gel covered one for this. If that doesn't work I will give your solution a go:)
Cheers for all the help dude. Be safe out there and have fun riding this summer.

Seems like you will have to run quite a lot of extra hoses to get all the way back there.

Just swap the two existing hoses and reroute them. Easy-Peazy. 1 hour tops.

I think I might just try to hid it behind a cut out bear claw.

Yes, that works too but it will block some air.
I had a hole drilled in the front of my claw to let in extra air to the temperature sensor as you want it to read what is entering the throttle bodies.
Here is a shot with the short K&N's. There won't be much left of it when cut for the larger K&N's.
My mistake was leaving a 1/2" of chrome at the bottom edge for looks. That prevented the tank from being lifted with the modified bear claw.
I took it off one day, got mad, and never put it back on.

DSCN2934-1.JPG

Seems like you will have to run quite a lot of extra hoses to get all the way back there.

Just swap the two existing hoses and reroute them. Easy-Peazy. 1 hour tops.

I think I might just try to hid it behind a cut out bear claw.

Yes, that works too but it will block some air.
I had a hole drilled in the front of my claw to let in extra air to the temperature sensor as you want it to read what is entering the throttle bodies.
Here is a shot with the short K&N's. There won't be much left of it when cut for the larger K&N's.
My mistake was leaving a 1/2" of chrome at the bottom edge for looks. That prevented the tank from being lifted with the modified bear claw.
I took it off one day, got mad, and never put it back on.

DSCN2934-1.JPG
A late reply I know sorry, but are you able to tell me the k and n number for those filters you have fitted please?

This where I hung my temperature sensor on both bikes. It's snug but the stock cable will get it into the air stream.

No oil issues with the taller K&N's but then again I have stumpy legs and don't saturate them.

IMG_2440.JPG
That's a nice seat! is that a reupholstered stock seat, or an aftermarket one? I'm looking for something like that for my 2016 Roadster...

Back