How to clean burned material of the exhaust headers?

I turned the engine on after couple minute later seen smoke coming of the headers, once the engine was turned off there was burned material all over the exhaust header!!! its hard and dark.... How do I clean it?

Thank you.
Use a compound called Blue Job available on Amazon or E bay. I used this on my rocket exhaust to get a burnt on melted fabric jacket mess off of it and it removed it completely with no damage. It took quite a lot of work to do it but worked well.

If you do use a penny (in the US) make sure it's BEFORE 1982!
If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.1982saw both types as they were switching over.

If you do use a penny (in the US) make sure it's BEFORE 1982!
If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.1982saw both types as they were switching over.
To be safe I used a 1903... :)

Attachments

• 1-cent-1903-g.jpg
    1-cent-1903-g.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 14
I had a grocery store plastic bag hit my header pipe on one of my bikes while out riding. Melted all over the pipe, turned black and gooey. After I got home, with the pipe still hot, I poured water on the plastic bag and it hardened quickly and fell off, no residue on the pipe no polishing or further cleaning needed. My pipe was ceramic coated not polished chrome. This could have been due to the type of plastic of the bag or because I had ceramic headers but it worked in this instance.

I could not find anything that works... BUT then I discovered how much easier it is to clean whatever is burned on when the pipe is extremely hot. Of course the only issue is you have to find something that does not stick while trying to scrape it off.. I found a super hot pipe with a quick shot from a pressure washer gets 75% of it off then you have to either get some steel wool or get the pipe hot again and try to find something abrasive that wont stick on.

I could not find anything that works... BUT then I discovered how much easier it is to clean whatever is burned on when the pipe is extremely hot. Of course the only issue is you have to find something that does not stick while trying to scrape it off.. I found a super hot pipe with a quick shot from a pressure washer gets 75% of it off then you have to either get some steel wool or get the pipe hot again and try to find something abrasive that wont stick on.
You can NOT use steel wool on R3 it as it will scratch, this is not a chrome pipe it brushed stainless steel. That is why it turns bronze colour, but if you have a Rocket III you can as its a chrome pipe.

I noticed it after I had the bike shipped interstate and tried to remove it immediately. No luck so I thought I would get around to it ... noticed in the next week, it just started to come off in bits by itself the more I rode it. It's not totally off and I'll work on that and see how she goes. .

You can NOT use steel wool on R3 it as it will scratch, this is not a chrome pipe it brushed stainless steel. That is why it turns bronze colour, but if you have a Rocket III you can as its a chrome pipe.
I had a small brown discoloration on my pipe. Used lots of polish, never dull cotton balls, much elbow greese with no luck. 000 steel wool with spit, only on the spot in circular motion, very little pressure, gradually increasing pressure as needed. Totally gone, no sign of scratches that I can see. Lucky I guess. I would in the future try other suggestions mentioned first.

Back