How to balance throttle bodies

Balancing the throttle bodies is easy with the [TuneECU] software and a screw driver. If you have the stock air intake plumbing you might either opt to remove the plastic ducting or if you can get a 90 degree screw driver on the screws you could leave it on. Either way #1 and #3 are the ones you actually adjust by the adjustment screws in between the throttle bodies. The engine should be at operating temp. Before you do this job I would also clean all the springs and linkages on the throttle bodies with WD 40 with a straw on the end tol loosen up the dirt and grime and blow it out and lubricate things at the same time. Below are some pictures that might help.

The adjustment screws on the throttle bodies are between #1 and #2, and then another one between #2 and #3.

P3270058.JPG

Note the springs in between these get the cleaning I was talking about.

Below are the spring and throttle roller, the cam rides against: these get spray cleaned and lubricated.

PA210277.JPG

Another shot of the spring on the front throttle body.

PA210283.JPG

Spray, clean, and lubricate the stepper motor shaft. This is easier if you extend the motor with the .12 volts during the ISCV rest function. That way it is easier to drop the rubber boot and spray with WD 40.

PA210295.JPG

When you get them balanced, say there are 10 points between them or better, blip the motor a couple times and let it come back to idle and evaluate the balance, and adjust if needed. Do this a couple times until fully balanced, then do a full ISCV reset
Hope this helps some!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty darn close, and close enough. If you wanted, you could fiddle with Number Three, but it is hard to get them all spot on. So it just depends if you have time on your hands or not. Either way those settings will be fine. Now for the reason I do an ISCV is most people do not realize the throttle bodies are on separate shafts and only number 3 has the Primary TPS mounted to it. So any changes to number 3 might move the TPS voltage enough to be out of tolerance and if you moved number one it most likely was not in sync. so doing a ISCV reset is best and easy to perform. Remember the newer TuneECU does not automatically reset adaptives you have to do that once you're done with the rest.

To balance the TB's is is just like loading a a map except once the ecu and computer are communicating I simply start the bike, yes? Then open the diagnostic pane and adjust if needed. Let's say I needed to adjust both #1 and #3. Then I click on reset ISCV? What happens after that point? How long does the reset take? Do I have to turn off ignition or anything like that?

To balance the TB's is is just like loading a a map except once the ecu and computer are communicating I simply start the bike, yes? Then open the diagnostic pane and adjust if needed. Let's say I needed to adjust both #1 and #3. Then I click on reset ISCV? What happens after that point? How long does the reset take? Do I have to turn off ignition or anything like that?
Hey bud. Once you are done with the balancing throttle bodies you might have to do a ISCV reset if you made any adjustments especially to number 3 throttle body. if you do a ISCV reset you must do this when the engine is not running -- the bike is powered up just not running. If your throttle bodies did not need any adjustment then you would not need to do the ISCV reset. Just reset the adaptives and go ride. :)

Back