Just an update on the suspected oil leak. It went in for its first service today and they checked it out for the leak. They said thet checked the torque settings on the bolts on the left side where the weep was between the upper and lower crank case halves and they said that they got a slight turn on each bolt. They looked at the week and they said it had a tacky feel to it so they determined that it was the grease used during assembly of the motor. They said they were 99% sure it was that but they said to keep an eye on it to see if anything appears again. I read on here that other people have found deposits of this grease seeping out of joints for a while. I am not a 100% convinced yet as it was from a joint that relies only on sealant so i guess onlly time will tell. Thanks for everyones input as it was good to hear other peoples stories

I recently purchased a brand-new Rocket Roadster and i was just giving it a good clean before i took it in for its first service. To my horror i have found oil weeping from the crank case. I looked at a service manual i had bought on cd to see how big a job it will be to repair the leak and it looks to be an engine removal and complete split of the crank case as the oil is leaking from the left longitudinal joint between the upper and lower case's incorporating the crank and gearbox shaft. I am not sure how this is going to turn out as i am not happy with the idea of the engine being pulled down. It will feel a bit second hand after that for a bike that is brand new at less than a month old. Does anyone know how Triumph will deal with it, would they try to fix it or do you think they would bite the bullet and replace it as it is such a big job?

Welcome from UK.

Welcome from down in Central West NSW. Sure hope the leak/grease thing works out .... just ride it and enjoy. Hope to meet at Rockets Downunda;)

It's a lot more new school than Doris Day or Frank Sinatra's rendition and I couldn't bear to post up this pop claptrap, Steve, coz' it doesn't convey the right message...

Besides which, I'm a, umm, errrr, aaaarghhh, mature gentleman.:roll:

Welcome from Indiana (Land of Indians) Arron. I have one season on my R3T and can tell you first hand that going over as many nuts and bolts on the bike and checking the torque is important and needs to be done on any new bike.

I ask this question out of ignorance so forgive me, is the only issue the oil seeping? And if correcting the torque does not fix it and it continues why would this not be a dealer issue on a new bike? Or is everyone saying this is a bigger issue?

IMG_4488.JPG

Back