Just an update on the suspected oil leak. It went in for its first service today and they checked it out for the leak. They said thet checked the torque settings on the bolts on the left side where the weep was between the upper and lower crank case halves and they said that they got a slight turn on each bolt. They looked at the week and they said it had a tacky feel to it so they determined that it was the grease used during assembly of the motor. They said they were 99% sure it was that but they said to keep an eye on it to see if anything appears again. I read on here that other people have found deposits of this grease seeping out of joints for a while. I am not a 100% convinced yet as it was from a joint that relies only on sealant so i guess onlly time will tell. Thanks for everyones input as it was good to hear other peoples stories
Welcome mate from another Brissy member. I am in Moorooka where in Brissy are you?
The results as you posted has happened before, give it some time and a clean and all should be good. You may also experience the occasional stall when changing down gears at low speed - this is due to the engine being new and a bit tight. If you insist on using a FULL synthetic oil when services are done you will find the gearbox will be smoother.

Welcome from Indiana (Land of Indians) Arron. I have one season on my R3T and can tell you first hand that going over as many nuts and bolts on the bike and checking the torque is important and needs to be done on any new bike.

I ask this question out of ignorance so forgive me, is the only issue the oil seeping? And if correcting the torque does not fix it and it continues why would this not be a dealer issue on a new bike? Or is everyone saying this is a bigger issue?

IMG_4488.JPG
Hi Billy, it is the only oil leak that appeared as everywhere else is good. If it does leak again it would mean an engine removal to be able to split the crankcase which would be quite a costly job so i suppose it would be up to Triumphs discretion on whether to repair or replace but now there is a record on their system that there has been a question raised at low kilometres travelled if something does resurface in the future

Welcoome Arron from Maine, hope things work out for you in your favor. I would be attached already, do as you must.

Hoopla

Welcome from Montreal, Province of Quebec, Canada. If bike is under warranty than it should be a free job, but still it sucks having to split the engine. Still better finding the problems while it is still under warranty. Good luck!

Welcome mate from another Brissy member. I am in Moorooka where in Brissy are you?
The results as you posted has happened before, give it some time and a clean and all should be good. You may also experience the occasional stall when changing down gears at low speed - this is due to the engine being new and a bit tight. If you insist on using a FULL synthetic oil when services are done you will find the gearbox will be smoother.
I am just down the road from Morrooka at Forrest Lake. I haven't found the bike feeling it is close to stalling at low speeds.

Welcome fm Aus. If any kind of Dealer should stand by there Warranty if new bike.good luck.

Just an update on the suspected oil leak. It went in for its first service today and they checked it out for the leak. They said thet checked the torque settings on the bolts on the left side where the weep was between the upper and lower crank case halves and they said that they got a slight turn on each bolt. They looked at the week and they said it had a tacky feel to it so they determined that it was the grease used during assembly of the motor. They said they were 99% sure it was that but they said to keep an eye on it to see if anything appears again. I read on here that other people have found deposits of this grease seeping out of joints for a while. I am not a 100% convinced yet as it was from a joint that relies only on sealant so i guess onlly time will tell. Thanks for everyones input as it was good to hear other peoples stories
Arron - I don't think you have a problem.
The "tacky" nature of the fluid is a good clue about its source. On my ride home from buying my brand new 2015 Roadster, I saw what looked like oil dripping down the left side of the engine, from behind the oil tank, when I stopped for gas. In a state of shock, I rode back to the dealership to raise the alarm. They said this is often happens. Triumph use "Cosmoline" or similar protectant, and pockets of it can left on the outside of the engine. The first time the engine gets really hot, the protectant melts and creates what looks like an oil leak. The liquid is tacky, doesn't feel or smell like engine oil at all. It seems to disappear as the engine cools down, in fact it almost seems to evaporate.

I would wipe it off whenever I saw it, and after the engine cooled it disappeared without a trace. I didn't even need to wash the engine. After the first couple of rides the liquid stopped. I think my dealership was right.

By the way- Welcome to this forum, it's a wonderful source of information and I make use of it all the time.

Back