Heat problems with relocating your ignition

redrocket

Supercharged
I found waiting in traffic in Daytona this weekend my ignition switch was getting pretty hot. I installed the Rivco ignition relocation a few months back and heard some Captains were having trouble with the solder melting inside. This made me nervous so I took mine back off and wrapped the inside part (1st 1" of the side that faces the engine) of the ignition switch with DEI Cool Tape. I wrapped it around 3 times and let in run over the ignition wire about an inch and zip tied it so it won't come off the wire. Another thing is you have to make sure your wire or switch isn't right up against the engine. Actually the ignition wires should just slip by the rear of the engine. I am confident that this mod will keep the switch alot cooler. No part of it is touching anything hot now.

Hey guys this really worked!!!! If you really want pics, I'll take it apart to show you all. Depending on how much you bend out those mounting point tabs will determine where the ignition switch is located and how close it gets to the motor. Putting that heat resistant tape on the inside aspect of the switch (closest to the motor)and making sure the ignition wire isn't touching anything hot being located behind the motor cooled off the switch dramatically. My key doesn't even feel hot anymore!!! :wink:

Nice find, definitely take some pics and do a little how-to write up. I won't need to do this because I'm going KIL but I'm sure there are others out there that will.

I'd rather take it apart only if I have to in order to help someone, then I wouldn't mind. I've talked to a few people with this problem, one actually had their solder melt resulting in a few circuits shorting out. So it's a pretty important fix.

Juggernaut said:
Nice find, definitely take some pics and do a little how-to write up. I won't need to do this because I'm going KIL but I'm sure there are others out there that will.
Stupid question what is KIL? Keyless? Got a link to a website for this mod?

Paul yes the switch was close to the motor and the wire was probably touching the motor. Good idea about wrapping the whole wire all the way to the plug. I purchased the tape at Advance Auto and I have alot left, next time I come up that way I can bring you some and you can wrap that around the switch and wire also. I'm going to the Army Navy store accross from Gatorz on Monday morning to buy my Colt M4, you want to meet for breakfast?

Re: cool tape

Ricky Rocket said:
sorry is there a website or where can i get some cool tape ?

yes right here
http://www.designengineering.com/produc ... =sp&pid=30
You got Advance Auto Parts stores or the like near you, they should have it. Just wrap the inner 1" portion of your ignition switch and wiring harness up to the plug and make sure the wire or switch doesn't touch the motor. The switch should barely miss the motor and the wire should just slip behind the back of the motor. Need pics? I will disassemble tomorrow and do it for you guys if needed, let me know. It's pretty simple once you get the idea of using the heat reflecting tape. :wink:

Back