Headlight question

Mitchcpc

Supercharged
Have any of you changed your bulbs to the "Ultra White" bulbs. What do you think? I did yesterday and I notice a slight improvement over the stock dingy yellow bulbs. Just want to see what others thought.

Anybody know if a burnt out headlamp will prevent the Rocket from running? I have heard if you have a headlight out there is an interlock that will shut the bike off. True?

Finally, what is that little marker light in the headlamp bucket for?

Just tapping the vast knowledge of this site...
Thanks....Mitch

Have any of you changed your bulbs to the "Ultra White" bulbs. What do you think? I did yesterday and I notice a slight improvement over the stock dingy yellow bulbs. Just want to see what others thought.

Anybody know if a burnt out headlamp will prevent the Rocket from running? I have heard if you have a headlight out there is an interlock that will shut the bike off. True?

Just tapping the vast knowledge of this site...
Thanks....Mitch

Mitch, where have you been lately???

I still have the yellow 'dingy' bulbs. They remind me of my underwear washed in our well water......dingy yellow. I can't answer the headlight thing other than to say one crapped out light don't affect the ignition circuit at all, at least that's what I read here. I suspect when I crap a bulb, I'll replace 'em both anyway. It's my experience when one goes, the other soon follows. Finally, ther little bulb is a position light and it's also a parking light that lights when you turn the ignition key all the way to the farthest poistion. Sort of like Polish 4 ways.................:eek:

I think if both are burnt out it won't run, since they are supposed to be on all of the time. The little bulb is a throw back to the old Triumphs. It functions as a parking light if the ignition is locked and turned to that setting. However in the old Triumphs I was told the pilot lights were used during the black-outs of WWII when you couldn't run headlights at night in cities. The PIAA H4 Extreme White Plus 60W/55W is a popular replacement bulb.

Here are a couple of good thread on bulbs

http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=2263&highlight=headlight+bulbs

http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=1359&highlight=headlight+bulbs

Thanks Flip

Flip....

Just trying to stay out of the snow here in Seattle today. We have about 3" today.....The big bike show is at Quest field in Seattle this weekend, but I didn't want to go if I couldn't take the beast. The only manufacturer that doesn't have a booth there is.........you know. So...I've been out in the workshop making all the little kids thier Christmas gifts...woodworking. I make rocking chairs and Nanny Rockers, that's a rocking chair with a cradle attached for 2-5 year olds. The rocket sits in the corner behind the dust screen to keep me company... I WANT TO RIDE !!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it !

Headlamps White/40w

1)Have any of you changed your bulbs to the "Ultra White" bulbs. What do you think? I did yesterday and I notice a slight improvement over the stock dingy yellow bulbs. Just want to see what others thought.

2)Anybody know if a burnt out headlamp will prevent the Rocket from running? I have heard if you have a headlight out there is an interlock that will shut the bike off. True?

3)Finally, what is that little marker light in the headlamp bucket for?

My 2cents...

1)Yes you get a more clear view with the white headlights, and it seems to give a larger viewing area. I like the change. On coming traffic think you have your brights on..being seen is a good thing.:D

2)I had one burn out and the bike still ran just fine.

3)No clue.....:cool:

Ride Safe..........

My 2cents...
3)No clue.....:cool:

Gents, it's for the 'parking lights'....

If you take look at your ignition, if you turn the key too far counter-clockwise, you will turn on the small bulbs in the headlamps. Bad News if you're not paying attention because you battery will run dead.

...I still have the yellow 'dingy' bulbs. They remind me of my underwear washed in our well water......dingy yellow...It's my experience when one goes, the other soon follows. Finally, ther little bulb is a position light and it's also a parking light that lights when you turn the ignition key all the way to the farthest poistion. Sort of like Polish 4 ways.................:eek:

Best excuse for ****ty underwear that I've heard in awhile.:D

Flip,

Just trying to stay out of the snow here in Seattle today. We have about 3" today...I've been out in the workshop making all the little kids thier Christmas gifts...woodworking. I make rocking chairs and Nanny Rockers, that's a rocking chair with a cradle attached for 2-5 year olds. The rocket sits in the corner behind the dust screen to keep me company... I WANT TO RIDE !!!!!

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it !

Many years ago I flew out of MChord on winter storm missions. It seams to always rain.
Then I spent a year at the rainiest recorded annual rainfall locations. Any guess where that is? The salmon fishing was the finest.

Is that like.............you can drive on the parkway but can you park in the driveway?
Spelling has to be you strong suit.

Do a search for the recent PIAA discussions.

Yes, but can you afford it?? Let's understand why: The attraction to Ron Paul by so many BRIGHT youth is their knowing the future is bleak; unless there is a preservation of morales and values and integrity. Clinton will not defile they're existence. The, less than dull, status quo individuals comfort in the labor of others and won't think for themselves. ABC, CBS, CNN...FOX do that for them. The "old" hear of an abolishment of the welfare state and worry about tomorrow. Nothing is fazed in overnight, unless it's the AT&T and like monopolies. Soon there will be no choice.

Last edited:
Back