Greetings! (Wall of Text Warning)

AnungUnRama

Ride or Die!
Ride
2016 Rocket III Roadster
Hello rocketeers!

I figured this would probably be a great place to pose some questions to experienced riders of the beast! I was looking at a R3 a few years ago as the bike I will eventually want to ride (only been riding for a couple years now) and own. I currently own a Yamaha bolt and love it to death.

However, I went to the Chicago bike show this past winter and they had the R3 roadster on the floor. I could spot it from a mile a way and my jaw hit the floor as this was the first time actually seeing it in person. I immediately shimmied over and sat on the bike and wanted to drive it home in the snow storm.

I have a few questions about purchasing/riding I was hoping you good folks could help me out with.

1. Price. What should I shoot for as a purchase price? MSRP in the states for 2014 is listed at $14,999 which I couldn't believe. So much bike for so little.. If I could get it out the door with dealer fees included to be 11.5-13.00, I think that would be awesome but I don't know if that is possible haha.

2. Insurance. Now I am under 25, not married and I called to get a quote from my current insurance provider (progressive) and they quoted me $146/ month which seemed insane to me. Granted I don't have a VIN# for them to run but I still felt as if this was very very high. Is this what should be expected?

3. Comfort. The seat was incredibly comfortable on the R3 but I am more concerned about the peg position. The bolt has a very similar riding position with your feet almost directly below you. While it is nice for handling, I find it to be a little uncomfortable for longer rides. Anyone able to comment on trip distance as to when you need to pull over and take a break?

4. Sound. The sound of the stock pipes are a little soft for me. Now the pipe I have on my bike is very loud, I am a fan of louder pipes, it doesn't have to be obnoxious but I typically like it for highway riding as I can see people turn and attempt to see where I am coming from. How does the stock pipe sound at high speeds? It sounds like the engine makes more noise than the actual pipe itself. I saw the TOR pipes around the net and they sound great, but wasn't able to find too much purchase info.

If I come up with more questions I will edit the post but I figured I'd try and get some info. Closest triumph dealer is about 45 minutes from me inside a Harley dealer so I plan on scheduling a test drive soon and see how it feels to actually ride.

Thanks again for all the help and I hope to be posting soon as a new owner!

I figured I'd throw a picture of my bolt in for kicks.

-Anthony

Welcome! I pay about the same amount of insurance as that quote every month which happens to be an excellent price where I live! Insurance here is brutal.

I replaced my stock seat with a touring seat from an older rocket and I find the ride extremely comfortable. My butt doesn't go numb even after riding for hours and hours.

One thing I did do recently is add some Highway bars and adjustable Highway pegs. It allowed me to put my legs in that comfortable legs forward position and now I enjoy the ride even more.

I only have the stock pipes but I think they're still loud enough when you're going wide open throttle. It sounds like a turbo charged dump truck at a certain speed and then roars like a world war 2 Mustang.

No regrets after buying my 2012. I like the abs feature.

Get an actual VIN number from your dealer and ask Progressive to run a new quote. Try a couple others, but I ended up working through an independent insurance agent - who got me a better deal through Progressive than what I could on my own.

Some insurance companies rate additional premium based on age versus horsepower, but experience based on location is also a factor. There is a large insurance market in high-risk rider categories, and also factor-in what they believe the market will bear. What is insane is meeting a twenty-something paying $250/mo for insurance and being "at peace" with it.

Thank you for the replies all, I figured I would get bombed for not using the search function haha. I was at work on my phone typing that up on a break. Will defintely be scouring the forums for more info :p

Hello Anthony and welcome from VA. Insurance is tough everywhere ya go but do shop around. Rickochet has a good idea on the highway pegs, go that troute and with the extra protection the engine guards give you it is good insurance from a tip over. Tops will run you around $600 if the dealer puts them on, maybe a little more. They give a slightly deeper rumble but never as loud as the HD crowd. Open the throttle and it become noticable. I just rode two 10.5 hour days with mine and loved the sound all the way. I have beeds on my seat for added coolness on the hot days; seems to work well for extra comfort too. Good luck and let us hear from you as you explore the new bike when you get it.

Last edited:
another Welcome from another Aussie there are a few custom pipe options, if you really want to go loud the Carpenters come with out a baffle

Welcome Anthony from another Aussie- Great Name:rolleyes:
Here is a little Vid of my Reband pipes.

Hello rocketeers!

I figured this would probably be a great place to pose some questions to experienced riders of the beast! I was looking at a R3 a few years ago as the bike I will eventually want to ride (only been riding for a couple years now) and own. I currently own a Yamaha bolt and love it to death.

However, I went to the Chicago bike show this past winter and they had the R3 roadster on the floor. I could spot it from a mile a way and my jaw hit the floor as this was the first time actually seeing it in person. I immediately shimmied over and sat on the bike and wanted to drive it home in the snow storm.

I have a few questions about purchasing/riding I was hoping you good folks could help me out with.

1. Price. What should I shoot for as a purchase price? MSRP in the states for 2014 is listed at $14,999 which I couldn't believe. So much bike for so little.. If I could get it out the door with dealer fees included to be 11.5-13.00, I think that would be awesome but I don't know if that is possible haha.

2. Insurance. Now I am under 25, not married and I called to get a quote from my current insurance provider (progressive) and they quoted me $146/ month which seemed insane to me. Granted I don't have a VIN# for them to run but I still felt as if this was very very high. Is this what should be expected?

3. Comfort. The seat was incredibly comfortable on the R3 but I am more concerned about the peg position. The bolt has a very similar riding position with your feet almost directly below you. While it is nice for handling, I find it to be a little uncomfortable for longer rides. Anyone able to comment on trip distance as to when you need to pull over and take a break?

4. Sound. The sound of the stock pipes are a little soft for me. Now the pipe I have on my bike is very loud, I am a fan of louder pipes, it doesn't have to be obnoxious but I typically like it for highway riding as I can see people turn and attempt to see where I am coming from. How does the stock pipe sound at high speeds? It sounds like the engine makes more noise than the actual pipe itself. I saw the TOR pipes around the net and they sound great, but wasn't able to find too much purchase info.

If I come up with more questions I will edit the post but I figured I'd try and get some info. Closest triumph dealer is about 45 minutes from me inside a Harley dealer so I plan on scheduling a test drive soon and see how it feels to actually ride.

Thanks again for all the help and I hope to be posting soon as a new owner!

I figured I'd throw a picture of my bolt in for kicks.

-Anthony

If you are talking about Mich. City Triumph HD they are good guys and do good work cant comment on INS as mine is a lot cheaper than that as others have said get the highway bars its worth it

Back