Greetings from Ukraine.

What an interesting thread. Especially the comments about Putin. They in some ways mirror my own. The Russian aggression in Eastern Ukraine and the bogus election in Crimea really caused me a lot of issues.

I had a very nice apartment in Sevastopol (Crimea) that was basically taken from me at for lack of a better term "gunpoint" when I didn't want to sell it when all the Russians came in Crimea. Not like there weren't a lot there but basically all the corrupt friends of Putin and his cronies. It also broke up a few long-term relationships from my college years. I went to college in the US and Russia. So a lot of my Russian friends from school are now ex-friends because they can't see past how they being are manipulated. Not to mention a few were killed on "vacation" in Eastern Ukraine.

Always interesting to read the Russian news and Ukrainian news in the native context. I speak, read and write Russian and my Ukrainian is not too bad. Mostly because my wife is Ukrainian and whenever she wanted to try and talk to her mom privately she'd previously do it in Ukrainian. I didn't know it that well before but I had incentive to learn. :) Love the chart Dr. Ponchik posted earlier between the different slavic languages. I tried to explain it to some English speaking friends that Russian and Ukrainian are sort of like Spanish and Italian. You get some free words in the other if you know one of them.

For all the years I lived there, I can say that most of the rumors about the women are true. As the Beatles so famously sang "The Ukraine girls really knock me out..." I would say that pretty much sums it up for me.

Motorcycling can be a real challenge in what used to be the USSR. I lived in Siberia, not the pretend wannabe Siberia of Alaska or Canada, but the real Siberia. I tried to ride as much as I could there. I had a 2wd Ural sidecar rig. I would ride that about 10 months out of the year. When the high for the day is -40 (where F and C meet) it is just too **** cold to ride. One thing about the Ural, was fairly easy to get parts and even easier to repair. That was the beauty of driving Soviet brand autos as well is I knew they were going to break down fairly frequently but I could just as easily fix them on the side of the road. Keep a pair of jumper cables and a hanger handy and you can weld up a lot of things. The crappy fuel we used to get pretty much tore up most European cars or bikes. When I moved back to a more normal area like Moscow I upgraded my ride to Transalp Honda.

Truly some great roads to ride on if you had an adv type bike. Most highways are still pretty crappy compared to most US roads. Think downtown NYC for a comparison. Around Odessa though they seemed to be better. Crimea is a very pretty area to ride or even visit. I have seen some massive potholes in the road that would swallow up the front wheel of most bikes. Russia/Ukraine is one of those places where riding can be pretty amazing and also incredibly dangerous if you aren't on your toes all the time. Not to mention you are likely going to collect a LOT of tickets if you don't know the rules of the roads. OTOH a small contribution to the militia officer's pocketbook can get you on your way pretty quickly.

Dr Ponchik - beautiful bike you have there. If you ever need parts that you can't get easily there, let me know. I usually make 2 trips a year back to Ukraine. I always seem to be bringing something for friends and usually have an extra suitcase along for just that purpose.

Back