Go Fast, Legally!!

Looks good Rob. Congrats. First time is always not as good as expected. I did my first drags last fall and was equally disappointed. But man is it fun. I made some sort of little mistake on every run that held me back. Best was a 12.8. But really not too awful considering it is a full dressed big girl. Plan on going out at least twice this year. Hope to not make the little mistakes again. I too kept my tire pressure street stock for my runs. Going to lower my rear tire pressure to 28 psi and see what happens.

Muscle memory is a *****, my hand tends to stop right at the 70% mark from being so accustomed to that being "full throttle" since I've ridden it stopping there for a while now, so all my 2nd gear work wasn't full throttle. Must work on that!!.
Rob - When I fitted AVON GRIPS the throttle tube supplied seems to be "faster". I'm not even marginally interested in 1/4 miles but noticed my motorway overtaking took less throttle rotation.

That or modify the bars to use 7/8 tubes. I did this on my previous bars - I'll take a photo when I have daylight. Then you could use the G2ERGO fast tubes. http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-competition-quick-turn-throttle/

Oh and that looks like a 1/4" not a 6mm. Put more in and use the tyre for Ice Racing!.

Yeap you can really see the 0.35mm difference in the photo :D
Silly - no thread - but it's not somehow a 5mm hex!. Looks more 3/16" to me.

bar Pic's.
DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

I did this to run 1" throttle tubes on good solid bearings - But the bar is 7/8".
I know Wayne Tripp did some R3's that had 7/8" throttle tubes.

Rob - When I fitted AVON GRIPS the throttle tube supplied seems to be "faster". I'm not even marginally interested in 1/4 miles but noticed my motorway overtaking took less throttle rotation.

That or modify the bars to use 7/8 tubes. I did this on my previous bars - I'll take a photo when I have daylight. Then you could use the G2ERGO fast tubes. http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-competition-quick-turn-throttle/

Oh and that looks like a 1/4" not a 6mm. Put more in and use the tyre for Ice Racing!.

There are short stroke throttles made.
Just sayin' . . .

There are short stroke throttles made.
Just sayin' . . .
I sort of assumed Rob would have swapped out the brake/switches/throttles for custom stuff already if he was going to.
The R3 throttle is pretty fast anyway compared to other bikes I've had.

With a spare R/H cluster (busted is fine as long as the slot for the throttle is OK) and some Epoxy Putty - I'm sure we could spec' up a new throttle tube and have them machined. I would NOT trust 3D printing. Could even try and incorporate 1" I/D bearings.

I sort of assumed Rob would have swapped out the brake/switches/throttles for custom stuff already if he was going to.
The R3 throttle is pretty fast anyway compared to other bikes I've had.

With a spare R/H cluster (busted is fine as long as the slot for the throttle is OK) and some Epoxy Putty - I'm sure we could spec' up a new throttle tube and have them machined. I would NOT trust 3D printing. Could even try and incorporate 1" I/D bearings.

A fine idea, however I have no need for this being more of a twisty affectionado than drags. I find the throttle and torque difficult enough to maintain smooth as is!

A fine idea, however I have no need for this being more of a twisty affectionado than drags. I find the throttle and torque difficult enough to maintain smooth as is!
An advantage of running a 7/8" tube would be the progressive ramps that G2 offer to improve that very aspect. Slow at low opening and fast at high opening. We can of course invent our own ramps.

Just finished reviewing my data logs, only two. What I learned:

Muscle memory is a *****, my hand tends to stop right at the 70% mark from being so accustomed to that being "full throttle" since I've ridden it stopping there for a while now, so all my 2nd gear work wasn't full throttle. Must work on that!!

Mental habits are hard to break, being accustomed to shift at the sound of 7k, I shifted quite a few times at 7 instead of 8. Certainly not helping matters :/

Traction is a *****, the first 10 feet or so and my clutch is fully released, from that point when I roll the throttle open fast, until the 1.9x elapsed time I had wheel spin, so my 60' times are 1.9s while spinning :/ This led to short shifting 1-2 at only 5k :( Not totally sure how, but I think I can improve this. On the street I have logs of multiple 3.7 0-60s, on the track they were more like 4.5 seconds, I don't get how the track was worse at grip than the street is, I was leaving at only 2000 RPM...

So next time at the track, I'm going to ignore my 60's, and ENSURE I hit 100% in 2-4 to develop the habit, then ensure I'm shifting where I should be. Once that's down I'll start working 60's and see if suspension/tire pressure help. Left suspension at street setting and tires at daily pressures today, so, 40 rear/39 front, thinking the 40 psi was the cause of all the spin.

All in all, a good learning experience and a lot of fun, racing bikes is 10000000x the fun of racing cars, which gets old to me about 3/4 down the track the 2nd pass, I could have lapped all day on the Rocket.
YEP you need practice its not easy to DRAG RACE a modded Rocket so its not surprising your times are off 60 ft times should be under 1.6 lower your tire pressure to gain traction and make sure you heat the tire with a proper burnout we found the stock Metz to works the best leave the line at 3500 rpm and keep the revs from dropping dont pop the clutch you can leave without wheel spin if all is right and with your head and cams you should be shifting at 8000 to 8300 rpm but thats with the CARPENTER exhaust and you must shift at the correct rpm to keep the engine in the sweet spot for max HP and make sure you tuck in behind the wind screen and stay down till your through the traps OH and get a strap to strap the forks down to prevent wheelies YES its not so easy and takes practice BUT its a lot of FUN So now you have a lot to think about before you return for the next 1/4 mile assault we want some 9 second runs and you can do it with some practice

Last edited:
Back