Gas gauge doesn't work

canecorso

The custom seat man
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
I got my bike all painted and put it all together and gas gauge doesn't work, I was told that I most likely need a new sender? gas gauge is showing empty and gas light is on.
also filled tank like I usually do and the two over flow tubs on bottom of engine gas was slightly dripping out, for two days now has stopped? its not like I over filled the tank I didn't put any more gas then I usually do why is that?
is there a fuse for my gas gauge? if so which one is it? any suggestions? That I can try before I go and order a new sender?

The questions that come my to mind, are:
1). Are all the wires connected and firmly in place at both ends of the circuit? I assume yes, since you are getting the low fuel light, but doesn't hurt to double check the connections.
2). Did you have the full pump/float/sender unit out of the tank and if so, are you sure the float arm was not stuck in any way when it was reinstalled?

Yes I had the pump and float totally out to get bike painted. What wire connection are you talking about? is there a fuse I can check? if so which one?
That's what I'm thinking that the float is stuck, but if its stuck how can I un stick it? I was thinking of putting a long skew driver in and try wiggle it around? sitting on bike I think it
will be on my right side? or any other thoughts? I hate to empty all the gas and take it all out again we where so carful to put it in.

Don't know if this applies to yours
i have read that u have to drive for a bit to get it to read.

I took it out for about three hour ride would that be long enough to start working? I there a fuse that could be burn out? It so which one could it be?

I took it out for about three hour ride would that be long enough to start working? I there a fuse that could be burn out? It so which one could it be?

i am thinking that a mile would be good enough.
i like your idea of taking a hook and see if u can move it up and down. i have never tried this.
i think there is a 4 prong plug that needs to b hooked up when u put on the tank. 2 wires for the pump and two for the gauge.
do not think it is a fuse more likely the sender or wires at the connector.
i think u can check at that plug
edit with plug disconnected and ign on
check volts should b 12v at two of the terminals
if u take a 12v test light and go from one of the positive to the ground n the plug then one of them grounds should show the gas gauge working and sender bad if the sender is bad.
that is the way i would do it but u have to decided if u want to do that.

so are you talking when I lift the tank there is a little whit plug I need to take that off and test it and it should read 12v? and if there is no reading then that means I need a new sender? which is $149.00:( I will try to get a coat hanger and use the hook to see if I can move float up and down hopefully its just stuck.

so are you talking when I lift the tank there is a little whit plug I need to take that off and test it and it should read 12v? and if there is no reading then that means I need a new sender? which is $149.00:( I will try to get a coat hanger and use the hook to see if I can move float up and down hopefully its just stuck.

i think that it will have 12 volts on two terminals only means that the positive side is working. u have to check it to see if the sender is working or not.
when u use a test light (for example if your gas gauge reads it might say 1/4)
if u can fix with coat hanger it will save u $149 and a lot of labor

I'm looking in my tank with flash light it looks like float is on the right side I got coat hanger with the hook and coat hanger got stuck lol finally got it out so I got long screw driver and touch what I think was the long thin wire for the float seems stuck, so I'm going to ride it tomorrow and try to get it as empty as possible so I can see better and try it again if not I'll lift the tank and take it apart again and take it all out again and try putting it back in again and hopefully it will work, with out buying a new sender.
what can it be caught on? could it be caught under the pump? if so is there enough room to push it out from above? something I just didn't want to bother when my paint is fresh and no leaks. Well I guess I'm thankful with all this customizing that's this is only the problem:)

I found this picture, if this float goes up and down on the level of gas, how goes it move up it looks like there is a lip that it's under how does it go up past that lip?
Just want to make sure that I know how it works before I try to unstick it and make it worse. Do I need to bend it out past that lip?

Attachments

• signal-2021-04-26-150328.jpg
    signal-2021-04-26-150328.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 24
Back