finally, it's mine

Welcome aboard captain AVUS9,
Shifting will get better, but it ain't no Hardley and don't engage like one.
Just a commanding tweek from your boot and you're there.
Of course the mirrors don't tighten up on the rocket like a hardly either,
this is because the hardly won't go fast enough to jossle em loose, the rocket on the other hand... wind resistence is a factor.
well, now that you've joined a pretty exclusive riders bunch, are you gonna come to Maggie Valley in May so we can meet you?

The headlight procedure is outlined in the manual and only takes a few minutes to do. I'd also aim them at the same time. You want the low beam to hit a line 2" BELOW the hight of the headlight bulbs at 19 feet out. (measure from the ground to the buld for this distance).

As for the mirrors-typical British style-a bit too complex! A small stainless steel washer placed under the screw will allow you to tighten it up just fine-add a small rubber fender washer too if you have any vibration.

As for the bike-simply in a world of it's own!

great to be a new owner of a new 08 standard R3
the service and buying process at MCC in Villa Park, IL ... only a couple things i need to fix/fine tune:
1- the headlights need to be horizontally aligned. they're a bit too far to the left
2- the right side mirror keeps coming loose. gonna remove and reinstall it in the morning
3- need to readjust the gear selector level, so first gear engages completely

Welcome to the site.
~The link above for headlight alignment provides a great idea for vertical alignment. As you are aware, having them aligned more left is disturbing. I'm sure you're more concerned about the deer on the right side that is about to jump in front of you than spotlighting the oncoming traffic. The shroud that surrounds the ignition switch will have to be removed to access the adjustment bolts. If you're considering more out front lighting, the OEM Auxiliary (fog lights) are awesome for a very wide field of view. They will in fact cast light more than 180 degrees, side to side. The veritcal alignement on these are critical...their brightness will blind on coming truckers if too high. Several site members, including myself have opted for the Sylvania Silverstars. Awesome white light!
~I too found the stock mirrors quite inclined to blow back, most often due to G-forces than wind pressures. The Kuryakun long stem Magnums are a great mod and are very tightly secured.
~The first gear engagement from a dead stop is often an issue during the early on. This eases up with time and it is often said that at the time of the first oil change there is often a remarkable improvement, I've said that myself. A technique often employed until such time, is to feather the clutch and tap the shifter to insure positive gear engagement. With 24k on the trip meter I still use this technique. I've never had a failure for the first gear to engage during liftoff.
And in the same line of shifting issues, getting into neutral is occasionally spoken of. I find this often the case, because I alway back the beast into my parking space at the office or elsewhere that has any sort of slope that will later necessitate a lot of struggle to back 'er up an uphill slope. A very minor forward momentum, a few inches of travel at the most, followed immediately by a lift into neutral works as smooth as silk.

You'll need to use the prop wand, from time to time. It is located along the right frame rail under the tank. Don't have a full tank when under the tank work is necessary.

Once again, welcome to the site and join in often Captain Avus9.

just wanted to thank everyone for the headlight adjustment procedures
i was all set to tackle it, when i received a courtesy sales follow-up call from my dealer

i told him what i was just about to do, and he first apologized that this was not properly done during the PDI - then offered for me to stop in and have it adjusted by them
long story short, i can now adequately see at night!

i am going to add the new Mini Motolights - which supposedly offer as much illumination as their larger units

Back