finally, it's mine

avus9

.020 Over
great to be a new owner of a new 08 standard R3
the service and buying process at MCC in Villa Park, IL was near flawless -- great interest rate and a VERY good sale price

as a former owner of a Honda Valkyrie, I was expecting similar handling/performance, etc
boy, was I wrong -- this Rocket kicks arse!

first scheduled service is at 500 miles -- i think i'll be there in a day or so
its just too much fun to ride

only a couple things i need to fix/fine tune
1- the headlights need to be horizontally aligned. they're a bit too far to the left
2- the right side mirror keeps coming loose. gonna remove and reinstall it in the morning
3- need to readjust the gear selector level, so first gear engages completely

Congrats!!!! Eventually the smile will subside but only between rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post us some pics so we know who were making fun of!!!! Ride safe!!!!:D

mutt

Good to have another captain join the frey and I'm glad you made the distinction with the Valkyrie as I almost got one before I heard of the Rocket. 1st time the handle bars get wrenched from your grip watch out. It takes a while to develop those grip muscles to hang on so when it happens the second time you'll be ready.:D

Congrats on the new ride, beware of tightening up too much on the mirror(s), they have a weird sleeve that may be bad (even if it is new), RocketDaryl had the same problem on his R3T and it took two attempts (and I believe a new sleeve) to correct it. You may also want to wait till the 500 mile service before adjusting the shifter. The replacement full synthetic oil does a lot to correct the 1st gear fickleness (not sure if that is even a word?), and you may want to have the dealer look at it in case it does need adjustment.

Ride safe,

Dennis

81 dtg Dubai
82 dtg Home

Congrats on the new ride and glad you found the site! I remember when I rode mine home from the dealership, not quite a year ago, still have not lost the grin!:D

Shifting will get better, but that is not her stong point anyway. I am still battling my left side mirror. It seems to adjust itself when I am a little heavy with the right hand...

Welcome aboard fellow Captain. Don't ask me how the whole Captain thing got started. I haven't a clue. Also, I'm still waiting for my Paul Stanley signature Captain's hat that Boogerdave promised me.

The mirrors are weird, at least to me (coming from a Harley). They shouldn't be loose, but they won't tighten to absolutely no movement either. They won't move on their own, but it doesn't take much hand pressure to move them, I'm talking about the stem. I would also advise against adjusting the shifter until you get some miles on her unless it's just a matter of finding a more comfortable position. Again, coming from a Harley, my bike shifted like a log wagon for the first few hundred miles or so. But, it's pretty darn smooth now. In fact, one of the guys at the dealer said mine was the smoothest shifting Rocket he's ever handled. Man, I certainly hope no one takes that sentence out of context (thinking of Scot in Exile). lol

Welcome

Glad you found this site. Welcome. I have had my R3 since October and have already put 15K miles on it. (Bought an HD 2 years ago and haven't put 1K on it.) Needless to say.... I LOVE MY ROCKET! U done good son.:D

what a great wknd to get to ride and know my R3
shifting is getting better -- just some times were there is no definitive 'clunk' shifting into first gear

but, a question --

is the lighting pattern really that bad with two headlights?
i have a 'mickey mouse' light pattern -- the two 'ears' are ambient light at best, and the 'face' part is just a bright spotlight barely ahead of the front wheel
is this normal?

Welcome to the forum captain avus9, I'm sure your going to love your Rocket. It sounds like your head lights may need some adjustment I can find no fault with mine, they're nice and bright right were i want them. The adjustment is probably in the owners manual.

Last edited:
Back