Final Drive Drain Plug stripped?

you no i did that same dam thing got called away near completion off the whole job was gettn bike ready for a week away , came back to it thinkin a had just put the plug back in sorta hand tight , however id tourqued to the required setting and got the socket and rat**** mmmmm onto it give a quick tighten up and stripped the DAM thread out ??? the words "gee that was lucky" did not come to mind
We were off that arvo so i just a tube of that 2 pot type plaster- seen and bogged the whole thing in place , the drain plug was wobbling around before the "quick fix"
This was last summer its been that way for approx 25ks
GO FIGUIRE
Might be time to do something about it @ 25,000klms the final drive oil would have been changed twice (at least) in my bike, as I always say you won't hurt/damage anything by over lubricating. Just saying

I just don't remove it, simply change the lube through the fill hole when changing tires. That happens about every 7,000 miles and the easiest way to remove the rear wheel is to remove the final drive.

What is the opinion on this.

I cannot get it to come out. I am working on it as I post.

Since no oil is leaking, would I be safe in running it?

Not sure if the oil viscosity changes, becoming thinner, and could leak out. Also does anyone know if there is pressure build up inside the final drive? If so I would be concerned it could cause a leak.

I figure if I run it I will stop every 5 miles on a test run to see if any oil is leaking.

If it is stripped what are options?
IF you cant get it out and its not leaking ride it

I just don't remove it, simply change the lube through the fill hole when changing tires. That happens about every 7,000 miles and the easiest way to remove the rear wheel is to remove the final drive.
AND you have to grease the drive shaft and rear splines anyway

you no i did that same dam thing got called away near completion off the whole job was gettn bike ready for a week away , came back to it thinkin a had just put the plug back in sorta hand tight , however id tourqued to the required setting and got the socket and rat**** mmmmm onto it give a quick tighten up and stripped the DAM thread out ??? the words "gee that was lucky" did not come to mind
We were off that arvo so i just a tube of that 2 pot type plaster- seen and bogged the whole thing in place , the drain plug was wobbling around before the "quick fix"
This was last summer its been that way for approx 25ks
GO FIGUIRE
LISTEN BOYS use teflon tape on those plugs stripped or not that will stop the leaks and keep the plugs from coming out DONT use anything else like epoxy the teflon is the best

I picked up the bike on Saturday and the results are in: 4 hours of labor and the total bull was $476. They drilled the plug out and retapped to a larger size and added a crush washer as a seal. Filled it up with fluid and let it sit for a week with no leaks.

So on the way home my wife called to see where i was at as we had plans later in the day. Of course she pops the question! - how much did this repair cost???? I did not hesitate to tell her.

That led into 15 minutes of driving with her explaining over the cell phone why it would be better to take the bike to the dealer for this type of maintenance.

I suppose I had this coming so I just kept my mouth shut and kept on motoring down the road.

It has been a long several days and this was the capstone!!

The capstone should be when she's really happy with you about something, and rides with you or says something nice about the bike.

Keep us posted please. And thank you for sharing this weak point of a Rocket and one solution.

Back