As I said it happens that the reading is very above the maximum, completely cold.
Then I do my control as the manual says and I end up with a mini reading (a little more)
I do not understand...

As I said it happens that the reading is very above the maximum, completely cold.
Then I do my control as the manual says and I end up with a mini reading (a little more)
I do not understand...
Therefore it seems each bike is different as there is the same level for me, cold after 24h or more and after the "Triumph measurement procedure". I never move the bike and handlebar (left turn) to achieve both type of measurement. However I keep the oil level just below medium level.

I ride every day and took this measurement cold for a week each morning before leaving.
Never the same level, from the really mini to the very top of the maxi. ???
I say to myself, that maybe like the low engine with 3 compartments, I believe, in any case 3 plugs to drain the oil, the oil is not in the same place when the engine is stopped after driving ..

It would seem that the advantage to a dry sump is that the actual level in the tank is unimportant as long as there is sufficient oil to feed the pump.
anywhere between Min and Max should be no problem.
Ok thank you, that reassures me, a little ...

TL;DR: either check as told, or don't check and wait for the oil pressure warning. Anything in between is also not checking, but with guaranteed additional time loss.

All the bikes I owned (all "modern" EFIs) had such a similar process (to be checked cold, but actually means run idle a bit, stop and wait before checking).
I actually find this one easier, because they do not require us to get the bike straight up to check; or to check over a small window down there you cannot see except on sunny days when bike is out with proper lighting orientation, but still you will have to crawl to try - the best being those that requires both, which I'm still trying to find a practical way to do.

If you don't do as told (run idle a bit, stop and wait before checking), you take the risk having an oil level showing higher than what it actually is available, which is definitely not something you want (believing it's OK where it's not.. you'd be better not checking at all, which is also the shortest option).
I believe they do not design such processes just to piss us off: they try to avoid an engine failure risk falling on our own judgement and liquids dynamics knowledge. Fair enough for a a 2,5L engine of that sort; I am personally not able to compensate for oil temperature, pressure and pump circuitry losses when reading a dipstick full cold. Some might (they have an opportunity to reconsider their life choices if they're not astronauts already).
Because these 2500's do use some oil between changes, its important to do it as Triumph says. I did it cold, and i did it HOT, and hot oil always reads higher on the stick..

This is something I discussed with triumph and the dealership. 60 to 90 seconds run time in winter for example in the UK versus 60 to 90 in the summer for example in Australia will give different readings due to varying engine temps which affects the viscosity of the oil. Each time I did it by the manual, I had to keep adding oil to the point I had 6.2 litres in there and it still read low on the dipstick. We even tried 3 minutes runtime here in winter last year and that did nothing. After consultation with Triumph, we decided a method which involved engine temp instead of time. That way regardless of the air temp or time of year, you'll have the same oil temp therefore same distribution. As per our dealership and after clarification from triumph Australia, we reach 4 squares on the temp gauge, let sit for 1 minute, then check.
Of course this is just a combined opinion and also Ben through our dealership stated with dry sump engines, you'll rarely get the same result every time and as long as 5.2 litres is put in, you'll be fine as the engine never uses all 5.2 at once

I used to have a M109 and boy that was a pain in the clacker to check oil, first ever service they over filled it💨💨💨got home and there was oil all down the side of the bike, that’s was 2006 so I thought screw this I’ll add what the book says and ride it, ever had any issues, that’s what I’ll be doing with my GT rocket.

Back