Electrical Gremlins Part 4

How about you feel it open and close with your finger on it? Its not a trick like mad dog has done to ya :roll: it wont bite ya like that shotgun
Dammit Kevin
PXL_20210322_182124636.jpg

Doesn't start without that one either, and notably, the blinkers still work. 5 blades
ok now we r getting somewhere that is the suspected culprit.
it wont do any good to hold it if it has a problem it is going to b on the inside where the points fail. if u want to post a pic i can tell u which blades to cross over to test when it fails. crossing will turn over motor
of coarse the best way is to replace it then see if problem continues or not.
i am not the best at explaining so if u have a question just yell.

ok now we r getting somewhere that is the suspected culprit.
it wont do any good to hold it if it has a problem it is going to b on the inside where the points fail. if u want to post a pic i can tell u which blades to cross over to test when it fails. crossing will turn over motor
of coarse the best way is to replace it then see if problem continues or not.
i am not the best at explaining so if u have a question just yell.
Here are pictures.
16171468569419169937765017146012.jpg

16171469330602819051272642346860.jpg

BOTTOM PIC
30 would b power from ign (at thumb) and 87 should b to starter solenoid
by crossing these to u should b able to send power to the starter solenoid causing the motor to crank unless thee starter solenoid/starter is bad
of coarse i am talking about crossing at the connector this test will only b good if it has the problem.
i see u have a mechanics thumb.
if u get a new relay u can try to break the glue holding the cap on the relay then take a look at the points. also u can plug it in to watch it work i have one that i use as a tool so i can see it work and b able to apply power or ground where i want. it makes it easy to diagnose electric problems

So the 5 bladed relay is the one I should replace, provided that it has gone bad. Otherwise, there's something wrong in the starter assembly that's preventing the starter motor from getting juice when the bendix gear is engaged. That could really only be the connection from the starter motor to the plunger/contactor part, right? The "click" that I've mentioned before sounds an awful lot like the contactor or plunger or whatever it's called inside of the starter engaging, not like a relay click.

I would just replace that relay that may cure problem if it doesnt then u have a spare.
U will know what the problem is when u fix it.
More than likely it is the starter solenoid but i usually change out the cheaper things first.
U might want to do the toy upgrade starter with solenoid.

Back