Don't over torque oil drain plugs.

specs on oil drain plug

Anyone know the size of the 3 plugs ? I'm thinking of installing the fumoto oil drain valve in their place to simplify future oil changes as well as not having to replace all those crush washers all the time.

Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

thanks

Anyone know the size of the 3 plugs ? I'm thinking of installing the fumoto oil drain valve in their place to simplify future oil changes as well as not having to replace all those crush washers all the time.

Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

thanks

you could possibly do that to 2 of the plugs, but the third has not only a crush washer, but also an o-ring. The Fumoto plug would not work properly there.

I had one on my Jeep and it worked great. The Fumoto has a barb fitting and it was nice to put a short piece of tygon tubing and direct the used oil right into a bottle or jug. Made for a no mess oil change. The only drawback is unless you put an anti- tamper clip on the drain valve then anyone could open the valve and easily drain your oil onto the ground.

My opinion (if you are asking) is that with the ease of getting to the Rocket's drain plugs, that the Fumoto would be a waste of money....$40 would buy an awful lot of aluminum crush washers and take about a quarter of a million miles to have a break even for the expense.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Seems like that Fumoto valve would be liable to snap off on a speed bump or other low clearance situation, Dan. Plus I barely fit my shallowest oil drain pan under there during a change. Sounds ok for a car, though.

that's a good point...mine on my Jeep was behind the skid plate but they would hang pretty low on the bike.

nylon crush washers

I do not replace my crush washers with aluminum ones,
Napa has the correct size nylon crush washers and they work great.
they are super cheap too, no need to go to the dealer for aluminum ones.
I will get the Napa part # when I get home from work.

I buy the aluminum crush washers in bulk and use them on my Valkyrie and VTX. The Valk takes 14mm for the oil drain and the final drive, the VTX takes 12mm for the oil drain and 14mm for the final drive...I also use the same oil filters on all three bikes and get them for a decent price in larger quantities. I bought 100 of the 14 mm for $18 quite a few years ago and have given quite a few away to fellow Valk riders over the years....probably down to 30 or so left which should last my lifetime...:)

14mm

Honda OEM Parts Part Number: HO-0171876x10 - Direct Line Parts

12mm

Honda OEM Parts Part Number: HO-0171868x10 - Direct Line Parts

filters

Honda Part Number: HO-8597650x10 - Direct Line Parts

Directline honda runs 10% off sales all the time and there is one running through tomorrow. Have to spend $100 for the 10%. No affilitation, just a loyal customer over the past 12 years or so.

washers

JR Hoorton,,
Do these fit the Triumph rocket??
I do not own a VTX or a Valkrie.

JR Hoorton,,
Do these fit the Triumph rocket??
I do not own a VTX or a Valkrie.

yes, that's why I posted them. The filters fit just like factory Triumph and the 14 mm aluminum crush washers are the same. I don't remember exactly, but I think we also use the 12mm that's why I posted that link.

I wanted to show that there are other alternatives to the Triumph dealer....these happen to be Honda, but I'm sure Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. all use crush washers and there may be more convenient local parts other than Triumph.

It is time for me to change my oil again, will to see if i did any damage the last time:(

Back