Do You Let Your Bike Warmup Before Riding?

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
I keep hearing about this in my news feeds. How does this apply to bikes? I let my bikes warmup, especially in winter, before heading out- how about you?

So, how does your car know it's OK to let it warm up longer (several minutes) because.... "Naturally, a little longer idle time is okay in the winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts." I'm not sure, but I don't think my car is an especially "smart car."

Last edited:
I always let them idle and some mild revs before heading out. My new Subaru has a blue light that stays on until properly warmed up. You can still drive off, but it is a visual reminder that the engine has not warmed up sufficiently.

Unlike cars, (for most people), you'll be hitting a much higher rev/RPM as soon as you take off and, though I'm no scientist, I believe optimum performance and reduced wear on components is best achieved at normal or near-normal operating temperature. ...just like my joints :rolleyes: :cool:
-MIG

Modern synthetic engine oils have a lower viscosity than the traditional mineral oil which, combined with computer driven engine management etc... certainly allows the engine to rev up more safely from cold, but the problem is likely to be if you put more load on the engine (like pulling strongly up a hill in a high gear).
Then, it's for sure, important to get the engine up to temperature so that not just the oil flows well, but that the bearings and bushings etc... are warmed up and expanded to intended tolerances.

I'll only run them for 1.5 - 2 mins before setting off, enough for the idle to settle down.
Then take it handy when engine warms up to operating temp, and be there for 10 - 15 - 20 mins before driving hard if I'm going to. It just feels right. The feel of an engine doesn't feel right if driving anyway hard before it's got to operating temp for a while.

I keep hearing about this in my news feeds. How does this apply to bikes? I let my bikes warmup, especially in winter, before heading out- how about you?

So, how does your car know it's OK to let it warm up longer (several minutes) because.... "Naturally, a little longer idle time is okay in the winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts." I'm not sure, but I don't think my car is an especially "smart car."
I let the warming last as long as it takes me to put on my helmet and gloves that's it. As far as cars go with the advancement in multi viscosity oils I call BS that your hurting your engine letting your car warm up.

With fuel injection... there's no need to let the bike or car warm up. No choke or high idle to coax back to normal. In sub zero weather, I do drive the car on the easy side for the first few blocks. With the Rocket, I'm like @CrzystghndKC only I already have my helmet and gloves on when I start it up then ride.

Back