DIY Tire Change (again)

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Considering a couple of different manual tire changers, as yet another change will be due soon (about every 3 months/4.5k miles). I've had two rims damaged by different shops and the best of them, another place, always leaves some smaller evidence of their work on the Roadster's rear rim. Cost is $55 and they can't even balance the rear because it's too big for their machine.

I already have a harbor freight type stand and an assortment of tire tools- best that also break the bead are Motion Pro Bead Pro irons. I can manage the front, but not the rear with what I have. I have a Marc Parnes balancer.

So, I've been looking (again) and thought I had it narrowed down to the NoMar vs. the MojoBar. I was about to get the MojoBar, as it has a smaller profile that I figure wouldn't require the tire to stretch quite as much around the rim and tool, then, someone mentioned the Max2h, which if it were secured to the ground or, better yet, at table height might (?) do the trick. It has a pretty large duckhead, so if my theory about the profile size is right might still make the MojoBar and my HF stand a better gamble. I'm interested to see what you guys think.

Here are two videos worth checking out being used by first-time users. In both cases securing the stand seems like it would make a world of difference.
This one is changing a Bridestone ExedraMax 200/60R-16

and this two part series. Hard time off, not too bad back on....

Thoughts? Does anyone have any of these?

BATTLE, proper tools, great idea, you will need pain med of some type also dont forget, good luck and please post tools, technique and outcome.

F3A3A21A-EE8A-4BBE-941A-C5CD0C00FD93.png
0DDD1C89-AB9A-4604-9B22-864F40A416EC.png
0383BF93-3170-411F-A9CE-459C6651FEBC.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First video volia almost needed his helmet on, but his breathing i can testify was real after getting tire on but its the off part that really had me puffing wind

Easiest way to remove a rear tire is to break the bead, cut a big square with a sawzall, then cut the bead with a bolt cutter.
I said I would never do this again but this with technique I may be able to redeem myself, i figured i lost the battle last time, i was wore down. Blaine you got this, get in there and conquer, dont forget the bolt cutters

Best, when you can do it, is find a craftsman who is proud of their work and don't mind having customers watch. When I was having the suspension guy work on my Rocket, I asked him if he'd do the tire change too (at the time, was dealing with the cupped Metzlers). He said he would, and I ordered the tires from Rocky Mountain ATV, and had them shipped to the suspension shop. I had free run of his shop while he was working, and he has a tire machine that holds the wheel vertically. I don't remember the details, but I watched, and the mechanism never touched the rim, and I don't recall being particularly concerned with either wheel as he did the work.

I had a BMW mechanic who was the same way.

Failing that, then yes, the MAX2H or similar (Sawzall sounds good too).

I've changed two "sizeable" tires in my day, the traditional way, and one I did myself, I buggered the rim. The other, I had help, which just showed me I wasn't going to be doing that by myself that way. I also purchased a tire changer from Harbor Freight, and all that did was confirm the unsuitability of 90% of the stuff they sell, at least for my intended purposes.

Last edited:
Back