Hi Folks,
I am new to this forum and take the opportunity to introduce myself. I am an Australian based in Melbourne, have been riding bikes for 50 years now and have graduated to the type of beast that suits my personality. My BMW's are real nice handling machines and I was tossing up for the new bike whether to buy a BMW HP2, BMW R1200S or on the off chance an R3. After one ride I made the decision and bought the 2017 R3 Roadster. So far I have not been disappointed with this new ride but have a big list of things to do to make the machine mine. I have ordered a new black Viking 3 into 1 pipe, K&N air box replacement and Power Commander (5) because I need a little bit ..more. Suspension mods will quickly follow.
I have a number of other hobbies at the moment that includes the building of a supercharged, methanol breathing Chang Jiang salt racer and restoration of a 1927 Talbot race car. I am OK old school tuning, (something with a carburetor), but lack the necessary knowledge and experience to do a good job to tune the R3. Uploading maps etc., will test me.
Hope that folks can give me the right direction and support to turn my R3 into a bigger beast! Step one is to identify the best map for the Viking 3 into 1 and the K&N. (I like to ride flat out in the back roads and seek best performance under WOT up to redline but also reasonable economy when cruising.)
Regards
DAVO
Welcome from Utah, enjoy :thumbsup:

welcome Davo from chilly canberra had btw s1000rr but love the R3 tourer just need to get more get up and go in it soon

Welcome from another Aussie, no the ECU is not locked but if I may suggest if not to late cancel the order for the in box K&N air filter it not worth it as almost no gain you would do better to get a Ramair so the Viking can really sing and yes I can it you up with a tune to keep her rich enough to keep her safe, but if you get the chance pop over to SA and get the King of Tuning Neville Lush to get the best out of her
Hi HansO, I have just received the K&N with 3 separate filter pods plus some other breather and air temp sensor plug. I thought these would be similar air flow the foam Ramair? Currently I am in Tijuana but when I get back to MELB if will pull the OEM airbox out and fit the K&N set up, Viking Pipe and PCV (5). Am I on track?

Welcome from Brissy @DAVO - If your in Melbourne why is you country flag USA?
@HansO May be able to help with a tune probably only for the PCV as i believe the ECU is locked on current models.
To be honest, I don't know why the flag came up as USA. I was probably doodling when I first registered. I will see what can be done to update it.

Welcome Davo, im in Melbourne West.
The Rocket is the best.

A Chang Jiang racer hey, seen a few standard ones around and even met an Aussie in China who had turned his into a BMW, well badged anyway.
As far as a methanol drinking racer, hmmm, hope they are short raceso_O
Yes, Chang Jiang, Had to replace/weld/strengthen just about everything inside and cross bolt the crank case to hold it together. A project with a few mates for a few runs on Lake Gairdner, SA.

welcome Davo from chilly canberra had btw s1000rr but love the R3 tourer just need to get more get up and go in it soon
I love riding the BMW's but wanted something different to ride as well. Will need to do some suspension mods after I get the engine going a bit better. I am sure folks on this site have done all sorts of things to sort the suspension but I will chase this down a bit later.

Back