Each to their own and I expect many to disagree but my Darkside experience includes:
Four times east, west, east across Australia, once south to north and around and back to the east. Doing Adelaide to Darwin and back again in August (south to north and back), all on a Car Tyre.
There is no statute in Australia that prevents a CT being fitted to a Motorcycle, however there is one that prevents a Motorcycle Tyre being fitted to a car rim, therefore not challenged in terms of roadworthyness and insurance. My wife feels safer (and more comfortable with the rear Tyre running 28 to 30 lb. I love the grip with a larger patch on the road, even when cornering. Soft sidewalls collapse on cornering and provide a larger contact area to get power to the road _ I love to "slingshot" out of corners.
I've never had problems with "bumpiness at speed. Done the 200km north of Alice Springs when it was unrestricted in under 60mins and the 190km from the last town in Western Australia to the first Roadhouse in 55 mins (some will know that one) in a comfortable balance manner.
But
It is what I use the Rocket for - its not a daily rider. If it goes out ..... its gone for a week fully loaded. I have Progressive springs up front and YSS rear shocks professionally valved and sprung for me.
I am quite large ... I think I make the Rocket look small and it all suites me.
Everyone has advice and I/we choose who we will listen to ..... its the nature of being individuals and having choice ......... someone also told me I shouldn't smoke cigarettes as well but I make my own choices, like never having a dealer go near my Rocket (except once and he was great).

Good article though:thumbsup:

I'm not trying to persuade anyone one way or another but here is my experience with R3 rear tires...

From 2005 to early 2008 I did about 55,000 miles on 7 MC tires (Metzeler & Avons) which equates to around US$1,500.

Since then I've done 67,000 miles and counting on 2.3 DS tires which equates to around US$475.

That's a savings of over $1,000. If I did the math correctly it paid for 14,000 miles of riding so far.

DS#1. 5/08 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 245/50ZR-16 $184 delivered ; got 25,000 miles & still had some tread ; best looking
DS#2. 9/09 TOYO Proxes T1R 245 55ZR16 100W $175 delivered ; 30,000 miles and still had tread ; better handling than GY
DS#3. 10/2013 Riken Raptor 245/50ZR16 $119 delivered ; over 15,000 miles and looks new ; best handling and should get 30,000+ miles

Todays options/prices (US):
Avon Cobra $233 - Cobra Chrome $284
Metzeler ME880 $218
Bridgestone E-Max $165
Riken Raptor $92

I was doing high mileage so I would rather change a tire every 2 or 3 years than 2 per year.

I spend 90% of the time going "straight" so giving up a little cornering in the twisties is worth it to me.

I've had all 3 tires up to 130MPH and had no stability issues - BUT, I wouldn't have tried any quick maneuvers at that speed.

Actually, slower speeds is more of an issue as the flat area wants to follow the often times uneven surfaces of parking lots.

I also think automobile tires look gnarly and I get a kick out of the snide remarks from the non-believers too.

best-tire-painted3.jpg

Each to their own and I expect many to disagree but my Darkside experience includes:
Four times east, west, east across Australia, once south to north and around and back to the east. Doing Adelaide to Darwin and back again in August (south to north and back), all on a Car Tyre.
There is no statute in Australia that prevents a CT being fitted to a Motorcycle, however there is one that prevents a Motorcycle Tyre being fitted to a car rim, therefore not challenged in terms of roadworthyness and insurance. My wife feels safer (and more comfortable with the rear Tyre running 28 to 30 lb. I love the grip with a larger patch on the road, even when cornering. Soft sidewalls collapse on cornering and provide a larger contact area to get power to the road _ I love to "slingshot" out of corners.
I've never had problems with "bumpiness at speed. Done the 200km north of Alice Springs when it was unrestricted in under 60mins and the 190km from the last town in Western Australia to the first Roadhouse in 55 mins (some will know that one) in a comfortable balance manner.
But
It is what I use the Rocket for - its not a daily rider. If it goes out ..... its gone for a week fully loaded. I have Progressive springs up front and YSS rear shocks professionally valved and sprung for me.
I am quite large ... I think I make the Rocket look small and it all suites me.
Everyone has advice and I/we choose who we will listen to ..... its the nature of being individuals and having choice ......... someone also told me I shouldn't smoke cigarettes as well but I make my own choices, like never having a dealer go near my Rocket (except once and he was great).

Good article though:thumbsup:

I’m hearing u brother

Phew - I'm surprised no one commented on my "straightness".

Correction: I ride "straight" 100% of the time and typically spend 90% on roads that are primarily straight with normal curves and turns in them.

As stated in many DS threads it is critical to get the bike set up properly (shocks, forks & springs, frame - especially if you've mucked with engine bolts to add bars etc.) and then adjust the tire pressure to get the best comfort/handling. Each tire and rider combo is different and a pound or two of air can make a big difference.

My 2015 came with the stock rear shocks set in mis-matched positions (5 and 3 as I recall) so check that or upgrade to
better ones. I babied it for the most part breaking it in but the cords were showing at 6,500 on the Metzeler so it too now has a nice evil Riken Raptor (painted red of course)...

As always, to each their own. I like the MC tires on mine, but if I was going to be on the road for more than a set of tires would last? Darkside again for me. If tuned right I guess they are OK

Back