Clutch lever hassle

Rocketon

.040 Over
I have recently had to keep adjusting the slack on the clutch cable at the handle bar end. I thought that the slack was rapidly disappearing due to the clutch wearing out. I spotted my mistake after I adjusted the other end of the cable. I noticed that the clutch lever was not returning to its fully open position. After a hard couple of weeks of Blighty weather, the rock salt off the roads had taken hold. I have no garage so the bike is out in all weathers. I have cleaned the recess that the lever sits in but it was still not right. I found that the spring tension on the clutch arm coming from the engine was not enough to pull the bar lever fully.
I have resolved this using a chrome spring that was part of the outside structure of a pen. The spring is chunky enough to look right on the bike. I wound the spring onto the exposed clutch cable that shows down on the side of the engine. This pushes the clutch arm down and the bar lever open. It does not effect the travel of the arm. An easy fix for free. 8)

Mike, thanks for the tip, which I'll keep for future use - but what is this exactly...?

"I have resolved this using a chrome spring that was part of the outside structure of a pen"

Excellent tip mike, but what are you writing with now? :lol: :lol:

I'm glad someone else has to keep theirs outside.

The pen spring is about 10-12mm outside diameter and chromed. The spring length is about 55-60mm. I was looking for just this item in my shed for hours and was about to give up when I went back into the house and saw the pen. It was a Eureka moment but any spring would have done. I would like to post some pics but I have never had any success. I have tried the photo bucket method about a dozen times but it has never worked. I think I need another Eureka moment. :D

I just thought. I will get a couple of boxes of these particular pens and dismantle them. Then I can charge R3 members £3 each USA. £0.50 to the Brits. Carriage and post costs obviously :lol: :lol: Anyone want a spring???

You guys that keep your Rocket outside need to have them taken away from you. I'd make my wife sleep outside and put the Rocket in my bedroom before I'd leave it outside. You should be charged with cruelty to motorcycles!!!!!! Shame...Shame!!!!

Back